WAY, ELP, Psychic Hotline, Who Sez?

> 'exactly impressed'. However don't forget other things were also
> occupying Pete's time and the others too.

Derick:

Too bad. Music is supposedly his first motivation, so he should therefore
put that first on his list. Since he's never been satisfied with his
product, then one would think he'd put all he could into it. Right? I
would...I do, in fact.

> Pete may not have had the time to write another masterpiece !

He had three freaking years! Some bands actually put out an album a year,
and more.

> More like 1973.  Definitely fading by '78.

Keets:

Their biggest tour was in 1974, and I know because I worked for them
(briefly) during it. They put out one more album (live), then took a break
until WORKS I (1977) & II (1978), which definitely brought them right back
to the forefront.
Bringing out a major project like W I & II is hardly "fading." They did,
however, fade a few years later.

> You think ELP and Depeche Mode sound similar?  Wow.

More similar than DP and The Who, yeah. Amazing, ain't it? Since I
currently have 6 DP CDs here in the store, not to mention ALL the ELP and
Who music, one would imagine I know of what I write, eh? Keep in mind that
I've got VIOLATOR playing as I write this...

> What makes a concept album then, if not a unifying theme?

The theme must be articulated beyond just "a bunch of songs about similar
things." Otherwise, since CSN wrote only about their own life experiences
every single album they put out would be a concept album by your definition
(for example). Every single Blues album would be a concept album. And so
on.
I don't think so. You need something more definite to go with. Otherwise
you just devalue the meaning of "concept album."
I will conceed that there are concept albums which weren't perhaps meant to
be so when put out. EXILE by the Stones is a great example of this.

> How many people are?  But then, you don't much like what PT's been
> putting out either, do you.

Ever put any thought into starting a Psychic Hotline? I'd advise against
it, because you read me (at least) wrong each time! PSYCHO was one of his
best solo albums, although I'd say WC was THE best. Both are definitely
great. The only one I don't like is IRON MAN, where I think he was
straitjacked by the concept.

> Guess you'll just have to go without fulfillment.

I don't know about you but I can get my fullfillment in many ways. Don't
worry; I don't have to wait for a great Townshend/Who album for
fullfillment.

> It's different, true, but it's actually better in some ways.

If that's not a rationalization I've never seen one! It's weaker and
hoarse, but in some ways I can't imagine it's "better." I had an unpleasant
moment a few years ago, while watching the Hyde Park video...I walked out
of the room and suddenly realized Rog sounded like an old man struggling to
sound like he can't any longer. I do believe he improved as the tour
progressed, yet it isn't nearly what it used to be.
I am not one who ia able to ignore reality, even concerning my favorite
band.

> Actually RD never did have much of a voice.

BLASPHAMY! He had one of if not THE greatest Rock voice of all, for a
while. The scream in WGFA is the stuff of legends.

> You said PT peaked at Quad, didn't you?  And that nothing was as good
> since?

That's true. But "not as good" doesn't always translate into "bad." And
that is not to say he can't top it still.

> especially pleased with "Psychoderelict."  What I wouldn't like to hear
> is for him to try to reproduce the 1973 (or the 1965, for that matter)
> Who sound on everything he does.

Nor I, but by that logic he should abandon Lifehouse and do some solo
material. All he's done since he started working on PSYCHO is redoing his
old material. Which is his right, however redoing the material in an
inferior way only tends to tarnish his image. I prefer to see it remain
untarnished, you see. I'm not into the "oldies show" mentality.

> By whom?  Rock music fans?

By every review and article and interview I've ever seen regarding the
album, including those of band members and those surrounding them.

> If one was a jazz fan, mightn't it be considered a positive progression?

Not if there IS no progression, only imitation, no. I wouldn't imagine, at
least...although I'm a big fan of certain Jazz artists I am hardly a Jazz
fan. In my mind, at least, copying what someone else has already done isn't
progression.
Do you think PT progressed Jazz to any degree with WAY?

> No, but the negotiations for the BBC "Lifehouse" didn't spring into
> existence the instant you said the magic words.

Who sez?