TED, Let's do the Time Warp, Conceptual love, Vocalizations, Whofest 1999?

> Awfully noisy bunch for something that doesn't exist in the present.

Keets:

Oh yeah? You hearing something I'm not? Because currently there IS no TED;
it's been reported that Entwistle and Daltrey are both touring solo. See
Ma; no TED!

> Emerson Lake and Palmer isn't exactly a prominent new group

Yes, but we are talking about 1978. You aren't stuck in a time warp, are
you? They certainly were a prominent band in the 70's. Just like Yes, for
another example.

> And wasn't
> in the late seventies, no more so than The Who.  It's true they tended
> to electronic music, but again we must be hearing different things

I'm hearing electronic music as opposed to guitar music. Now tell me which
Techno came from. Or Depeche Mode's style, for that matter.

> they sound heavily classical to me.

Depends on the song. No Classical in Jerusalem (a Hymn) or Lucky Man, or
Hoedown, or Knife Edge, or...see?

> I didn't care for their later stuff,

Nor do I.

> which may be where you're hearing the influence on techno.

Nope. I'm thinking of their first five albums, primarily. A good example
for Techno-influence might be PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION.

> It does seem to harp on that retread theme.

So some of the songs having a similar theme makes it a "concept album?" In
that case, there are thousands and thousands. Imagine, for instance, how
many are "love" concept albums! Every Sinatra...how about the Partridge
Family?

> I dunno.  Sounds like WBN is more about general cynicism and
> disillusionment--something that was showing up in Quad, as well.

I think you're reaching for a concept a bit too far. IF WAY is about
getting older, then cynicism has got to be a part of it. But I cannot agree
with you that ideas presented in this vague a manner can make a concept
album.

> <grin> Watch out.  Did you hear he wrote a song for a movie soundtrack
> just recently?

Yeah? And? Am I blown away by his amazing writing skills? Is he in PT's
league?

> RD sounds fine.  His voice will last as long as John's hands.

Daltrey's voice has been deteriorating since (at least) 1978, and the
recorded material proves it. I don't want it to be, but I accept the
reality of it. Listen to the MSG broadcast and compare it to the KBFH QUAD.
Compare it even to the 1982 Toronto show.

Case closed.

Do you really want to see his voice go completely and Rog embarrass himself
as Robert Plant frequently does? I for one do not!

> I thought it was better, though, a development of ideas that started
> with WBN.

You have the right to think it was better.

> There are some people, you know, who think PT will never do anything
> better than "My Generation."  Does that mean he should have continuted
> doing MG for the rest of his life?

No. But my question is why did you lump me amongst this sort of thinking,
with no evidence whatsoever to back you?

> It's hard to beat WN, but I think to a serious
> musician WAY would be comparable.

Really? I have yet to meet that serious musician. Praise for WN is rather
universal, whereas WAY was never considered to even be that good. Who fan
that I am, I cannot consider it one of their Classic albums (MG, SO, T,
LAL, WN, MBBB, QUAD).

> They're different, so in a way it's
> like comparing the proverbial apples and oranges.

Not really. One has almost perfect Rock music, almost the epitome of Rock
excellence and progression...while the other is Rock music with both good
and poor moments, a certainly lessor performance, no progression whatsoever
but instead heavy "borrowing" from Jazz...not to mention an uneven delivery
by all involved.
Rotten oranges, perhaps...

> Uh, I think they've been working on it a while.

Oh? You know something about the tour?

>         MARK, I THINK YOU ARE SETTING YOURSELF UP AGAIN BUDDY

Derick:

What do you mean, "again?" And thanks for your concern, but I'm not setting
myself up even once.

You don't have to shout...

> STAGE, VERY FEW OF US KNOW WHAT PETE IS EXACTLY DOING OR WRITING.

But we DO know what he says he's doing, and that's all we can go with till
something else actually happens.

>                  IF YOU BOTH WILL PERMIT ME, I WOULD LIKE TO WITNESS
> THIS BEER BUYING EVENT IN PERSON ONE DAY. I WOULD ALSO HAPPILY BUY
> A FEW MORE TOO.

I'd be happy to have you join us, and others. Actually, a few years ago we
had a Whofest here in Myrtle Beach and I quite enjoyed it. I've been asked
about another; I'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to have one! It's about as perfect a
place to have one as you could find. The original Meher Baba Center is
here, where we would have the opportunity to visit and thereby delve into
what inspired Pete to write TOMMY and Lifehouse...it's very beautiful, too,
and the people are extremely nice.
If there's any interest in this, please contact me privately. I can set
things up, being on the scene and all. And the summer is a good time to
visit MB, even with your family if you wish because there are a mulititude
of amusements for them while we talk Who.