Re: Kenney Jones as Charlie Watts

On 03/14/99 08:43:43 you wrote:

>andrew wrote:
>>
>> ive heard that Kenney Jones plays drums on the song,"its only rock n roll". is
>> this true??
>
>Yes it is.  I don't know why they couldn't use Charlie that day.  Any Stones
>experts on the list?

I'm no expert but the story I heard was this session was a late night spur
of the moment jam.  A call was made in the small hours of the morning to
Kenney as a drummer was needed.  Not only was Watts not there but neither were
either of the Stones guitarists.  Ron Wood (who was not in the band at the time)
played all the guitar parts.  Later Keith Richards erased all of Wood's parts
except the acoustic saying something to the effect "I'm the %^#*^%# guitar player
in this band".  Charlie didn't see the need to redo the drums as they were fine
according to him.  Also, David Bowie was there singing backup vocals.

Bruce

University of Tennessee Volunteers
1998 NCAA National Champions