Re: Blues Plate Special, Disco reeks, Reflections on Mirror Mirror

>> I don't think he sounded much like Hendrix, either

>I'd suggest you buy yourself a new set of speakers. Most reviews of his
live show ran like this: "The closest thing you can get to seeing
>Experience..."

Likely we're hearing different aspects of their technique (see recent
discussion of Who music).  There aren't many people who reproduce that
sixties sound.  (Actually, Pete's doing a version of it just lately--an
amazing thing to tune in and hear on the Letterman show.)

>> If it doesn't have the right beat, it's not rock.
>
>And who gets to decide what the "right beat" is? Jerry Falwell?
>
>> It's easy to take any old 4/4 song (Twinkle, Twinkle) and rock it up,
but try it with a 3/4 waltz.

>Any Beatles fan should be happy to point out how many of their early
songs have that waltz beat.

Then they might actually not be rock music, only selling in that
marketplace.  This is the same argument that's going on with blues.  You
can have a strict definition and classify according to the beat and the
chord structures/progressions and etc. or you can use a broader
definition based on the general effect.  No fair using the broad
definition, though, and then excluding some things that qualify (disco)
just because you don't like 'em.

>> from a blues tradition.  What Roger sings on "Rocks" is blues.
>
>How can one sing Blues when it's not a Blues song? Just curious...

<sigh>  There's a certain style of singing that goes with the blues
music.  Roger sang in this style for most of the album, but on "Mirror,
Mirror" the blues beat was there, too.  The guitar work didn't sound
especially bluesy, but given two out of three, I'd call it blues.  Not
traditional blues, you understand, but about as close as some other
stuff that passes.

>> I think I've got Leon Russell doing it (somewhere) and as I recall,
he does it that way, too.  I'll check it out.

>Different song: Magic Mirror. I believe it's on CARNEY, perhaps also
the "best of" GIMME SHELTER. That's not Blues either, but almost
Country.

Yup, you're right.  Different mirror song, though I had remembered it as
similar.  The album I pulled out was "Carney."  Enjoyed listening to the
man--it's been a while.  He does sound like  Willy Nelson with a super
bad cold, doesn't he (i.e. baritone)?  I don't know that either one of
them is actually a country artist, though.  They're sort of
unclassifiable.  Western?  It's not something you hear much any more.
Anybody know what category Leon Russell is generally stuffed into?  He's
worked with Eric Clapton, play at blues festivals and such.  Maybe it's
blues.

keets