Re: Blues Plate Special, Disco reeks, Reflections on Mirror Mirror

> IMO the only true blues song the did is the "Good is Gone."

I wouldn't call that one Blues, but Anytime You Want Me definitely was;
didn't Pete write that one? Here Tis also, but he didn't write that one.
They also did Smokestack Lightning early on, but never recorded it.
The Who took Blues and made it R&B, then "Whoed" it (their word) into Rock.

> of music that is divine in its simplicity.    By the by SRV is not doing
> Hendrix guitar to blues, he was doing his own thing to blues.

That explains the Hendrix jam on nearly every boot I have by him...not to
mention the multiple versions of Voodoo Child, which is on ALL of
them...you're right; no Henrix at all...what WAS I thinking?

>  I hope that Jonny Lang can develop as SRV.

Why not hope for something new instead?

> I don't think he sounded much like Hendrix, either

Keets:

I'd suggest you buy yourself a new set of speakers. Most reviews of his
live show ran like this: "The closest thing you can get to seeing
Experience..."
Or perhaps you haven't heard that much Hendrix? You can't go by his
singles. Try the live  Winterland CD for a good example of what SRV was
getting his sound from.

> Btw, many rhythm and early rock-n-roll tunes were blues... Bill haley's
Flip
> Flop and Fly (a Blues Bros. cover)

Howard:

Uh, wasn't that done by Big Joe Turner? Haley may have covered it, but...
And I'd call that one R&B, rather than Blues.

> The Who's Young Man's Blues is not blues!

It's definitely Rock. I haven't heard the original either, but Allison is a
Jazz artist.

>   The "good side" to disco is its lack of pretensions.

David:

Actually, I found Disco to be quite pretentious...and Disco people, as
well. Since I don't have a time machine to show you what I mean, see the
movie Studio 54 for an example...or The Last Days Of Disco. S54 (the
"heart" of Disco) would only let the "right people" in, which I'd call
rather pretentious wouldn't you? It was an elitest subculture, which is the
complete opposite of Rock's "all welcome" tradition.

> I still think you have to classify rock according to the beat as well as
> the style.

Keets:

I guess this means you don't think bands like Yes and King Crimson are Rock
bands.

> If it doesn't have the right beat, it's not rock.

And who gets to decide what the "right beat" is? Jerry Falwell?

> It's easy
> to take any old 4/4 song (Twinkle, Twinkle) and rock it up, but try it
> with a 3/4 waltz.

Any Beatles fan should be happy to point out how many of their early songs
have that waltz beat.

> from a blues tradition.  What Roger sings on "Rocks" is blues.

How can one sing Blues when it's not a Blues song? Just curious...

> I think
> I've got Leon Russell doing it (somewhere) and as I recall, he does it
> that way, too.  I'll check it out.

Different song: Magic Mirror. I believe it's on CARNEY, perhaps also the
"best of" GIMME SHELTER. That's not Blues either, but almost Country.