Re: A comment on the blues:

L. Bird wrote:

> What do you think of "Rocks in the
> Head," Howard?  Is there any blues on there? (Of any description?)

I think my definition of the blues leaves a little room for
interpretation... I haven't heard RITH, but I would say that if somebody
hears some bluesiness to it, it's probably there.  Once I heard it myself,
I might say, "What?? No way!"  I don't see what is bluesy about "The Good's
Gone."  But, it could be blues influenced, and there could be something I'm
not hearing... or if I'm hearing it, I could be missing the connection.

I had a friend who would say a certain song sounded like a certain group,
and I would think, "What?  He's nuts!"  And he was, but maybe that's why he
made connections I wouldn't have... Listening later I would sometimes hear
what he was talking about, and, although the correlation was often very
tenuous, I would have to say I agreed.

I wouldn't mind hearing an in-depth review of the album, song by song.
Wanna take that on, Keets?

Btw, although I wouldn't call anything about it blues, I wanted my
girlfriend to offer Pete and Ronnie Lane's song "Rough Mix" to her band as
a set closer.  Not blues, but it is very improvisational, and has a cool
rhythm... somebody might call it bluesy (I wouldn't).  Her rhythm player
would have dug playing it, I think... plenty of room for him to improvise
under the soloist.  They'd have taken it a step or two toward the Blues.
But they broke up.. (sigh)... after being voted best R&B band in Ft. Wayne,
IN.  That is not a dubious distinction.  We've got some great live music
happening.

Ennyhoo, 'nuff said.

Howard P.