Bristish tour; BBC musings

> Jumping Jack Flash (Peter Frampton/Del Newman arrangement)

Keets:

Oh, man, that's the WORST arrangement of a great song, unless you count
Clapton's unplugged version of Layla. Or as I like to call it: Layla (the
Nightclub mix)

> There is one simple reason why I don't subscribe to the other list:
> white fang.

Phil:

Why bring him into the discussion? Besides, you personally tried to
"police" (read: censor) the list and brought a lot of what happened to you
on yourself, remember? And since that's in the past, no one's bothering you
about it now...so you should do the same with others, don't you think?

> According to the article in ICE, it will be a double cd if you buy it at
> Best Buys.

Mick:

Good thing I travel to Charleston and Columbia a lot, otherwise I wouldn't
have the chance. Even so, I think that's fairly bogus. Aside from those who
will be unable to get to a Best Buy, we will have to pay for a double disc
to get a few more songs and an interview we'll listen to maybe twice.
Great.

> Actually, it's the Old Grey Whistle Test version, which is longer than
the
> YBYB version (it's just a different live vocal over a canned backing
track).

Still not what I'd call a real live track. I assume LLR is from the same
show, and also has canned music.

> I don't know if these tracks exist in any better sound quality than what
you
> or I have heard on crappy bootlegs.

And they DO sound crappy! You're understating it, really. But they are
(reportedly) from sources like Ready Steady Go, which contributed to the
Hendrix BBC set...so you can see why I felt they should be available and
included. As far as I can tell from my Max BBC, five songs won't be
included: Pinball Wizard, So Sad About Us, I Can't Reach You, I Can See For
Miles, and Summertime Blues. OK, so SB was on O&S and ICSFM is the same one
released on SINGLES, and you report PW will be on the second disc...perhaps
SSAU & ICRY will be the other "bonus tracks."

> Hmmm, at the risk of sounding like I might actually be defending the
bozos
> at MCA (or whatever their corporation is called now), I don't think it's
> really their fault.  Credit or blame for such "executive decisons" can be
> given to Jon Astley and Pete Townshend.

I am reluctant to call PT an idiot, so I will assume he just doesn't have
the perspective to decide these things. Astley is another matter, and while
I must commend him for some of his work on the reissues...I could condemn
him for some of it, too.
Whoever's responsible is the band's worst enemy, then. And we end up the
losers (no matter what list we're on).