commercials

Hi all.  Here's how I feel at this moment in time.  Songs as the background
music for a film are acceptable.  However, to take a blood and guts anthem
and hawk cars with it?  Where's the intergrity?  I agree The Who have the
right to cash in on their fame, but what happened to the IDEALS?	I am
not saying I am right.  I just thought there was more to the bigger picture
than money.  Then again, when I went to Hyde Park in 1996, there was a
commercial being played on the big screens with My Generation blaring away.
And what was it selling?  A popsicle.  Wonderful.  That just makes me want to
go out and buy a whole bunch.  Myself and one of my friends have had numerous
arguments about using songs for commercials.  I hate the idea.  My friend
thinks it is okay.  He says it brings the song to a wider audience.  I say it
undermines what the song stands for.  There is a reason as to why the radio
exists.  Then again, that is what makes us so great as human beings: we can
all have independent thoughts.  I don't have the answer.  I just think it
comes down to artistic betrayal.  I am still a fan, although somewhat
disillusioned.  HOPE dies last, and I know that I will lose my faith if Bob
Dylan ever creeps out of my television set as the subliminal enticement to
buying a product.  Plastic society rules.

Mike