the Kenney years

Scott wrote:
<
<watch the thirty  yrs maximum r&b video and look at the
79 performance for the concerts for kampuchea behind blue eyes on the 79
chicago set with pinball wizard.  those were great and kenny played like a
madman whalin away. in 81-81 it seemed in my opinion he just sat there and
played.>

This always puzzled me, I mean I used to read the stuff about how great they
were when Kenney first joined, making the covers of Time and so forth, but
the only thing I had to guage was the Who's Last album. Not until Maximum R&B
video did I get glimpse of what everyone was raving about. How could they
sound that good in '79 and so bad in '82. Granted the Who Rocks America video
has a better song selection but performances pale to those clips from '79
Chicago show. Even the stuff I've heard on bootleg from Face Dances tours is
better. On Max R&B versions of Music Must Change and 5:15 are better than
studio.

Kentavo