Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #29

At 15:41 -0800 1/30/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:17:12 -0500
>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: Thomas, Closets, it's a Riot, The Jam, and thanks
>
>I've always taken it to mean the followers actually gouged his eyes out,
>and so on. But that's just how I saw it. You are certainly entitled to your
>read, and there is nothing definite on the album.

Sure.  I just think it's interesting how widely the interpretations can vary.

>Good one, but I wasn't thinking about coke actually. Some drugs are just
>too dangerous.

Too dangerous to use, or to dangerous to be legal?  I don't think you can
argue effectively that pot, for example, should be legal but that coke,
heroin, LSD, or STP (for examples) shouldn't be.

>Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:00:39 -0700
>From: "Jessi B." <candy_emma@sprynet.com>
>Subject: Tommy on Radio

Puh-leeze set your Netscape or Microscoff Outlook e-mailer so it doesn't
repeat your whole post complete with HTML tags.  I certainly wouldn't mind
a short test post until you get it right.  Thank you:

><META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
>http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
><META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.71.1712.3"' name=3DGENERATOR>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Just to let every one know, I made a =
>request on=20
>a certain radio show to play a track from Tommy and I got the email the =
>other=20
>day telling me it would be played on air.&nbsp; So if any one's =
>interested, here=20
>are the stations it'll be played on this Sunday Morning =
>(tommorow):</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>

etc. ad nauseum.

>Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:27:49 -0500
>From: Marc/Carolyn Hurwitz <MHurwitz@compuserve.com>
>Subject: REM Debate, Jim Carrey, Clinton, the Beatles & PSYCHODERELICT
>
>"Foxy Lady" is just sexist.

Not unless you're going to claim that a woman couldn't write an equally
intense song about how sexually attractive she finds a particular man.
It's heterosexist, if you must engage in PC Newspeak, but IMO labelling an
ode to sexual attraction "sexist" is a misuse of the language.

>That man got up
>there in front of the American people and said "I have never had sexual
>relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky", and that was just a flat-out
>fucking LIE!!

It was not.  "Sexual relations" is a synonym for "sexual intercourse",
which he did not AFAIK have with MLewinski.  Had he said "I have never had
a sexual relation...", THAT would have been a lie.  It's on just such
micro-parsing of the language (e.g., the famous "It depends on what the
meaning of 'is' is.") that Clinton is basing his case.  He's a lawyer, he
knows too much to make a simple factual lie under oath so he resorts to
factually true but misleading statements.

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)