Eagles, Cowboys, Thomas, Drugs, Beatles, REM, Perjury, the Pope, and the Play

> "Witchy Woman", which I think was also pre-C.

Alan:

Oh well; we disagree on that one but that's only one. I DO like ALL of
their singles up to One Of These Nights, but after that I like almost none
of their music...excepting about 1/3 of CALIFORNIA, and none of TLR except
Walsh's excellent song.

> most of the "On the Border" album.  I could probably name more if I had
> copies of the earlier albums, which I don't.  I only own "On the Border"
> and was lucky enough to see them touring to support it in '73 in a joint
in

Sure you weren't SMOKING that joint?

I agree about OTB, their best without a doubt. I also saw them on that
tour, opening for Joe Walsh. They were great, better than I expected.

> Is the Townshend album "All the best cowboys have chinese eyes" worth
> buying?

Tom:

All of his solo stuff is.

> Not specifically, but think about how the story would play out in
> reality.

Keets:

I've granted you that. If it was real life, but we probably shouldn't add
to the story ourselves but take it as presented.

> Good album, but how many times can you let it go around in the cd
> player?

A lot of times.

> Uh-unh.  That's not intellectual.  It monsters right out of the
> subconscious.

Maybe. Depends on the song.

> You have to put Paul Simon in there somewhere.

Agreed, but he had "too short a season."

> his lawsuit, but about intervention in his son's life.  He says now that
> he should have locked the kid up.

Oh, I was just giving my general drug rant.

> And some can't handle it at all.  I'm not sure it's entirely a matter of
> personality, or strength of character, either.

Very true, but as someone who has handled it with no problems whatsoever
for about 25 years now, I object to being "punished" for someone else's
misdeeds when I'm doing what I should to be a positive role model.
.
> I'd suspect that when somebody's thrity years old, though, it's too late
> to stop them.

It's survival of the fittest.

> They could've been another Beatles (or Who, Mark)

Carolyn:

More like The Who. Sting even overdubs his vocals a la Townshend, and has a
similar voice.

> Had two-and-a-half great albums and then fell apart.  Nope.

Complete agreement here. She had a baby and that was pretty much it. The
ONE bad thing Ray Davies was involved in...alright, if you're going to
count EVERYBODY'S IN SHOWBIZ, two.

> Christ, NO!  It's hard enough defending REM.  Besides, I cannot
> comprehend your viewpoint...it's like encountering someone
> who sincerely believes that the earth is flat, or the moon landings
> were faked, or Bill Clinton didn't lie.

No, no...besides, he didn't lie to the Grand Jury (as anyone who has seen
the videotape could tell you), but only to the Paula Jones lawyers and
since that was ruled as irrelevant AND the legal definition of perjury is
'lying under oath about a RELEVANT matter' this means he did not commit
perjury. And there is NO case for obstruction, so...the GOP is wasting time
and money because they're big babies who cannot accept that any Democrat
can be President! And a better one than they can come up with, too!

I think I can use your "coming from another planet" theory here, because
only a modern, forward-thinker could see how clearly The Who are better
than The Beatles. The flat-Earthers would take the opposite view,
certainly. And the landing-fakers, too.

> The Who is the greatest group ever, and REM sucks.

I'd say you're half right. REM was a great band, until MONSTER. The Beatles
were pretty good, too, just not in The Who's league...that's all. I mean,
not very many are! It's no shame.

> Next item:  Is Pete's "All the Best Cowboys" album worth getting?  Well,
> does the Pope shit in the woods?

Jim:

He comes to Chicago a lot more than he goes to any other US city, so I'd
say YOU would be the one to answer that!

> 	The traumatic event -Tommy's loss of sight, hearing and
> speech- occurs while Tommy gazes at himself in the mirror.

Kyle:

This MUST be in the play (which I haven't seen, nor do I wish to)! In no
way is it represented in the movie or album, nor does it make a lot of
sense! I mean, TOMMY may not be a Greek God but you'd have to look pretty
freakin' bad for a glimpse in the mirror to cause you to go deaf dumb and
blind!!!!