Assorted replies

Brian,

> What do you drummers and non-drummers think of the video version of "Who Are
> You" from "The Kids Are Alright"/"Who's Better Who's Best?"  I think it has even
> more bang than the album version.

Non-drummer view:  It's wonderful!  It also seems as though they're enjoying themselves.

Jeremy,

> Subject: WHO DVD
>
> for the secret policeman's ball incl 3 songs from PT
> Drowned,Won't Get Fooled Again,Pinball Wizard:
> warning - region 2 disk!!!

Is it possible to reprogram or reformat a DVD disc from a different region?  (And why do I feel like I'm suddenly
stepping into "1984" or "Brazil"???)

Jim,

> Finally, Keith's Bio Book:  Does anyone know if "Dear Boy" is officially
> released in the US yet?  I just went to several book stores during lunch
> and nobody had it.  I asked one clerk to do a search for it and it came
> up empty.  Bollacks!

That's because the U.S. title is "Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend."  It's published by Spike (sounds
appropriate somehow, doesn't it?), an imprint of Avon Books.

Kyle,

> Subject: "Tommy Deconstructed"
>
> For all the folks on the list who don't own a copy of the big colorful
> book "The Who's Tommy".

As far as I can tell, Pete Townshend has NEVER been able to leave a finished work alone; he's constantly revising and
reconstructing (consider all the different versions of "Lifehouse" we've heard about, as well as its recent
manifestation within "Psychoderelict").  While I find nothing wrong with reconsidering Tommy's trauma and psychological
breakdown and redevelopment to create dramatic staging effects, that doesn't necessarily mean that interpretations based
solely on the original recorded version of the album are incorrect or incomplete.  And I also feel that, while
scholarship and research are admirable, it's possible to over-analyze the meaning of a piece of music, losing the real
meaning and beauty in the process.

--Cheryl