Our Who Drummers

I guess now that Fletcher's book on Keith is getting read
some very nice conversations have been hitting this list
about our Who drummers and I wanted to weigh in a bit.

My perspective is from having the chance in my life to
have sat behind a set of tubs a few times and whenever
I hear a song the first thing my ears tend to reach for
is the drums and rhythm and from that point I like to
say a few things about each drummer.

Keith - For me he was the best.  The reason being is
that he was imaginative.  At the time there was no one
that was doing what Keith was doing with his drums.
And today much of rock drumming (at least to my ear)
can be traced back to him.  He certainly contributed
to the popularization of large drum kits.  Bottom
line for me is that Keith was the most creative
musician that I have EVER known!  I'm just glad he
wasn't a schooled drummer because I think that would have
squandered his ability to be so free creatively.

Kenny - When Keith died I thought I not lost my most
favorite drummer of all time (including Rich,
Krupa and others) but that I had lost The Who.  I was
so thrilled when Face Dances finally came out.  I didn't
care how FD stacked up to other Who albums, it was an
affirmation that my band was still alive!  I love
Kenny for that alone, keeping my band alive.  And
I heard all the trashing of Kenny I need to hear.  He's
a very good drummer, excellent as a matter of fact.
But just a very good excellent any drummer, nothing
creative there.
However coming off the heels of Keith, who honestly
was there to pick from?  NO ONE could play like
Keith and ANYBODY would have been a disappointment!

Simon - Technically an absolutely superb drummer!
And I have to respectably disagree with some on the list
that purport that he is not creative.  When I first heard
him on Empty Glass I just loved him.  Technically proficient,
very tight tempos and he used all that 'tightness' to get
all around his set.  I don't think I had ever heard better
'schooled' rock drumming until Simon.  And yes, he does have
power.  But is he for The Who, I don't think so.  At
least judging from what The Who had done in the past he
didn't have the flexibility in his timing or his chops
or what-have-you to accommodate the jamming that The Who
would get into.

Zak - In all reality he is my choice to be the next to
sit on the drum throne.  Keith gave him his first set
and as I understand it he would practice along to The
Who all the time.  He copies Keith the best.  Imaginative
no.  Perhaps if The Who were to do new material where
Zak was included in the creating of a new Who sound then
possibly yes but I have yet to hear him have a chance
to exude anything creative.

Well if The Who do perform again and Zak doesn't get
the job, for as much creativeness that has been
on that Who drum throne how about Steve Luongo from John's
band.  He's a very entertaining drummer, seems to
have the right chops for The Who and I'd like to see
him have a chance to stretch his creativity.

Thanx for the bandwidth.

Beau (cymbalically yours) McCrury