Re: The Dirty Jobs

Brian re:

>If you used a lot of synths in the early '70's it would be very
difficult
>to avoid being influenced by Walter (later Wendy) Carlos.  From
"Switched
>-On Bach" on he/she was one of the greatest early synth artists.

    For those who don't have "The Story Of Tommy", there is a 2 page
photo
collage of influential people/things in Pete's life. Compiled by Richard

Barnes, the list includes none other than Walter Carlos ("A Clockwork
Orange" soundtrack) AND Stanley Kubrick.
    Another interesting note is that ACO's authour, Anthony Burgess,
also
wrote music and believed that a "musical and literary fusion" could find

a future in novels. Didn't Pete sarcastically call "White City" a novel?

    Wow, I never knew about Carlos's switchover. When the heck did that
happen?!?

keets re:

>A while back somebody pointed out that Kubrick must be a Who fan.  I
>don't recall the details, but it had to do with Clockwork Orange, the
>costumes, music, punks and etc.

    On the Odds&Sods list about a year ago, in a joke post, I jotted
down (but made no claim to Kubrick being a Who fan) a few things like:

-"Lolita" and "Zelda" have similar subject matter.
-In "A Clockwork Orange", old woman in leotards exclaims "Who are you?".

-Jack Nicholson is in both "The Shining" and "Tommy".
-Stanley Kubrick and Ken Russell had a similar taste in hairstyle.
-The denouement of "Spartacus" and "Tommy" both use crucifix images.
-Both The Who and Kubrick released a film in 1975.

     Another one I thought of, but would like confirmation:

-I'm sure it was Phil Daniels who played the role of Alex in a late
 '87/'88 U.K. Theatre production of "A Clockwork Orange". (I recall
 "that" band U2 did the music...)

Don't let go the full metal jacket,
Stoo