U2 and The Dead

Okay, my 1 + cents worth on the subject...

My man Howard is correct in his mention of the early U2 catalogue.  "Boy", "October", "War", "Unforgettable Fire" and "Joshua Tree" are excellent albums.  I'd like to give honorable mention to "Achtung Baby" too, but only sections of that record are excellent, IMHO.  However....

When U2 first popped onto the scene, I was a big fan.  I heard an interview with Bono in the very early 80s where he gave his propers to The Who and said that "Sings My Generation" was one of his favorite albums.  That fact only fueled my enjoyment of them.  I first saw them in 1982 during their US tour, and they were phenomenal.  I'd seen them four more times since then and I thought they were the King Shit.  Until the last time I saw them, that is.  I saw them during the Zoo TV tour (I think that was in 94 or 95) and they sucked so bad that it wasn't fair giving them the benefit of the doubt for having a "bad night".  They were awful, they put absolutely NO effort in their performance, they simply went through the motions.  Bono, the ulitmate poser in an industry filled with posers, didn't even attempt to do his schtick.  The only highlight of the night was an acoustic version of "Angel of Harlem".  They even made their own personal "Won't Get Fooled Again" ("Bad") sound lik!
e it was being performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  I've since traded all of my U2 albums, and I'll never spend another cent on that bunch of phonies.  Am I being a touch too harsh on my Irish kinfolk?  No, I don't think so.  I spent a fine penny on that last show and I felt quite cheated.  What finally did it for me was the fact that the Chicago Tribune reviewed that show and called the "the greatest rock and roll concert ever to come through Chicago."  What kind of drugs that reviewer had, I don't know, but I'd sure like to get some.

The Dead:  Howard is again, dead on (pardon the pun).  The Dead themselves never placed any great expectations on their albums, it was the live performance that they put themselves into.  If you've never been to a Dead concert, then you just can't understand the difference.  Even as a live band, they weren't all that great as musicians (excluding Mickey Hart), but they always had a groove going.  People watching was as much fun as enjoying the music.  Deadheads I equated to the Muppets and I had a ton of fun looking at them from that angle.

Although I just wasted a bunch of space recounting my experiences with these two bands, I agree that if you look at the total picture, both bands have to be considered over-rated.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Jim in Chicago

"Try me, I could be all that you need to get high."  JAE