Who women/overrated bands

>Brian in Atlanta, thanks again for the Camille Paglia article touting The
>Who's relevance.  Excepting the esteemed women of this list, The Who always
>seemed to appeal more to guys that I knew (believe me, my dream was to find a
>girlfriend who dug The Who 1/4 as much as I did).  To all female Who fans out
>there, please don't take offense at what I just said.

Hm, interesting. That's the type of fan distribution that I always expected
to find when I became a fan, but actually, Ive found lots more women who
appreciate the Who. At least a two to one ratio, women to men. I find that
men totally blow off the Who in favor of Zeppelin... They won't even
acknowledge the Who influence on Zep. It gets really annoying actually. but
I've met a lot of women who like them (or atl east will admit to it) and
I've been able to convert a lot more women than men. =) Has anyone else
noticed this, or am I just a total aberration here?

>Overrated bands:

I have a problem with calling bands/artists over or underrated, but I can't
articulate why quite well enough yet, so I won't get into that now... I'm
getting there though, but in the meantime, just a couple comments...

>-REM, excepting two great tunes "End of The World" or whatever its called, and
>"Radio Free Europe", the rest of their radio hits are mindnumbing IMO.
>"Orange Crush"?  Ugh!  Maybe some gems are hidden on the albums.  I'll never
>care to know.

Is it really fair to judge them just by their radio hits? And not just REM,
but anyone. THe singles are released to sell records, not to garner the
critical recognition that they may get. That would come from the entire
record. And if you don't listen to the entire record, then how do you know
if they deserve any praise or not? Not to mention, a single may not have
the same meaning or impact out of the context of an entire album. I didn't
like 'the Real Me' unti lLI heard it in the context of all of Quad, same
with Pinball Wiz/Tommy. yeah, those are 'rock operas', but an albumcan have
a mood or something that a song could fit into better than it would fit
into the top 40... Oh yeah, and since I just got max r&b box set for xmas,
I have to say i like the version of the real me on there better than the
one chosen for quad... but back to the topic at hand.
As for REM, I recently became a major fan, and for the record,  I
personally DO find the album cuts, in general, to be much more impressive
than the singles. I was of your opinion, though, about them, until I heard
them more in-depth. I still don't like Shiny Happy People, though... =)

>-Tom Petty:
heehee! I like him, actually, but I always have to laugh when I hear about
him - there was one episode of Wings (the sitcom) where they're talking
about attractive singers, and Lowell (the mechanic) says that he thinks
that Tom Petty's definitely the handsomest. heehee!! Of all people!! My
family and I just crack up every time we hear Tom's name now... =) "now Tom
Petty, he's one handsome man!"

OH!! And just to relay some really dumb information out of nowhere, on the
REM newsgroup, there's been a poll where you have to pick your favorite out
of each of several pairs of bands or whatever, and one choice was Queen vs.
the Who, and it's been like 20-2 , the Who's burying 'em!

OK. enough babbling for my first ever post on this ml... How many people
did I alienate right off the bat? =)

Anne