The Broadway Tommy

Brian Cady wrote:

> Gosh, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but "The Who's Tommy" closed on
> Broadway June 17th, 1995.  As my wife says when I bring it up: "Why, oh why has
> Tommy closed and Cats is still open?"  I wish you and your class could have seen
> it.  It was wonderful.

I saw a traveling theatre troupe perform Tommy right here in Ft. Wayne, Indiana (USA).And while I enjoyed the subtle differences in the storyline as opposed to the original album,
I wouldn't mind if I never heard the phrase "Tommy can you hear me" sung in 6 part harmony,
and especially no vibrato.  As a matter of fact, I think it should be made illegal.

Tommy is a ROCK opera, not a rock OPERA.

I guess this is a little more perturbing to me right now because I just started rehearsals for
a local production of Jesus Christ Superstar (which isn't as Rock as Tommy, but still had a
lot of Rock feeling), and the musical director's first speech to the cast went something like,
"I've been listening to several different recordings of this music and one thing I've noticed
is a lot of 'scream' singing... and we can give the show just as much energy but still sing
correctly."  AAAAAAAAHHH!  But I've committed to the part, so I'll do it, but unwillingly.

I don't begrudge anybody appreciation of an art form, again, these are just my two cents.

Long Live Rock!

Howard Powers