Re: WBN, Naked Eye, and a nice pair

I've just been thinking they might be able to do it--the new album, that
is, and some regular tours.  TED are all still quite able and creative,
apparently they want to perform--plus they've all still got that f*ck
you attitude that always tore down any sort of barriers to what they
wanted to do.  Pete's having trouble singing in the old range, and the
time may come when Roger can't do it either, so they need some new
material.  Endless rearrangements of the old stuff will eventually get
boring, at the least.

I think the key to carrying it off successfully would be to dump most of
The Who legacy and do something completely different, like maybe invent
something completely new.  Pete seems to be fooling around with new
ideas already, synthesis of different forms.  The fans might moan and
groan, but that's tough.  The sure way to fail is to try to please
everybody.  The alternative is to give it up.

keets

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>

>Denise:
>
>That's a nice pair of wishes you've got there. Although I can imagine
how
>good Pete's solo albums (especially the last two) would have been as
Who
>albums, I'd rather they not make a new one at this point. Like the
>Republicans in Congress, the boys have no way to win. Anything they
release
>would be relentlessly hacked apart and/or ignored and it would drive
them
>(and us) crazy, and there would be Who fans who would stand behind it
even
>if it was complete garbage (insert ELP reference here).
>Who needs all of that? Besides, Pete's not even making solo albums
anymore.
>And I'd cite as my case in point what happened with the two Kenny Jones
>albums.
>Bands with little or nothing going in the first place, like Kiss and
Styx
>for instance, can make a "reunion" album successfully...but for The
Who, it
>would be like climbing Mt. Everest. And I'm sure you'll agree that we
don't
>need any substandard material.
>A tour would be very nice, as long as it was done as well as the `97
QUAD