Re: Songs

Carl Gilbertsen wrote:

> I was just listening to Disc 1 on the box set and I think that "Early
> Morning Cold Taxi" and "Girl's Eyes" are really bad songs.  Are these Who
> originals?

"Early Morning" was written by Roger and Cy Langston of Humble Pie.  Cy played
guitar on Entwistle's LP Smash Your Head Against the Wall.  Personally I think
it's okay musically, but lyrically, doesn't do it for me.

"Girl's Eyes" is a Moon original.  Musically it's okay (but less okay than
"Taxi"), lyrically ir's just silly... but I love  the line "Don't throw sticks
at her."  That's what a little boy would do if he liked a girl, and seems very
Keith Moon.  Just my opinion.

> They seem like covers.  Redeeming these is "Call Me Lightning",
> which I never really hear about.  Is that a cover, too?

It's a Townshend original.  It's not very critically acclaimed, but I love it!
Especially the "dum-dum-dum-doorec" doo-wop vocals.  It strikes me as a beach
music type thing.  Perhaps it was written to please Keith?

Long Live Rock!!

Howard P.