girl power

Here's a post from another list.  Anybody see this on CNN?  It is kind
of a turn around about the women.

keets

>There was in interesting item on CNN last night on rock music vs. rap
and hip hop.  Rumor is that rock is dead (again).  The segment mentioned
that Plant and Page released a single last year that sold 1500 copies,
but Page and Puff Daddy sold 1.5 million copies of Kashmir.  They
implied this was because of Puff Daddy.  Also featured was a (boy) band
(?) which insisted that it wasn't rock that was dead, but artist
development.  The narrator finished up by noting that what rock there is
now seems to be female territory (see Grammys).

>Lots of material for discussion here.  I personally don't think that
Puff Daddy was responsible for that 1.5 million copies all by himself. I
dislike the mechanical backing track of rap, but I liked the effect P&PD
achieved.  Placing rap against a really powerful piece of music did
surprising creative wonders.

>There's been some discussion already about PT's use of rap in FACE THE
FACE and more recently, in an arrangement of WHO ARE YOU.  Nobody much
seemed to like WHO ARE YOU, and I think the reason is that it was too
cluttered.  WHO ARE YOU is musically complex already, while FACE THE
FACE has a simpler structure and served well as backing for the rap.
Kashmir has that quality, too.  Though it's much more powerful as a
piece of music than FACE THE FACE, it pretty much consists of a single,
repeated theme (a la Ravel's BOLERO).  Or was it just the rapper that
nobody liked?