An Evolving Appreciation For The Who

Hi Carl et al,

When I was originally introduced to the band it was because of Keith's
drumming
too.  It was over time and listening to several different Who albums that I
began to appreciate Pete's songwriting skills.  First it was Keith's
drumming that
I would listen to,
then it was picking out the vocals trying to figure out who was actually
singing, 'Is that Pete or Roger singing?'.  Then moving on to John's bass
playing
and spending a lot of time realizing just how integral his musicianship was.

I guess
my appreciation for Pete's songwriting skills didn't hit until I started
listening
to the pre Tommy stuff like Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands, Pictures of Lilly,
Tattoo, The Kids Are Alright and Substitute to name a few.  At that point I
started taking in how Pete was skilled at writing about the day to day life
situations of
a young person, growing up, still observing and coming to conclusions for
the first time as to
the meaning of personal experiences that are often times private and
personal but
yet so common to so many of us.  At that point I realized that Pete was
writing songs
about MY life and this was music that was PERSONAL to me and that I could
hold it
close to what I was realizing and going through in the things I did (and
still do).
And the fact that I didn't know any other Who fan(atics) for the first
twenty years
or so of listening to The Who simply reinforced that what I was listening
to was personal and private.

And now with those aspects of what makes up Who music established in my
listening
ear I continue to grow more and more appreciative of their music.  The music
of The Who for me is a constantly evolving process of appreciation.

I don't want to end this post without a tip-o-the-hat to John's songwriting
either.
Boris The Spider, Whiskey Man, 905, My Wife are songs too that are MINE.

Beau (who will never let go the coat) McCrury