Re: What's that lyric, anyway

>My point remains: Townshend could have done better. I'll agree with you
that WAY rocks and with Howard that even the non-rocking songs can be
great, but this still doesn't change my opinion that New Song and >WAY
in general is among the weakest of their work. I expect more of The Who
than a good "rocking" or "soft" song. They can rock and still make you
think. They can be soft and stimulate your mind. Or at least, they used
to...

I just don't think "New Song" is all that weak.  It's got a great double
meaning related to the endless reincarnation theme of Lifehouse, plus it
expresses PT's feelings he was trapped by The Who fans into providing
the same experiences over and over--by just the sort of grousing you're
doing now.  Do you just not like what it says about the fans?  The moral
of that story is, don't mess with Pete Townshend; you'll end up in one
of his songs.

>Huh? Transition to what, nonexistence?

Yeah, as it turned out, it was.

What I think was that PT wanted to change The Who sound to something
more like his solo albums, and maybe to lower the volume so it didn't
hurt his ears so much.  The fans rejected it though, so he quit.

>> and the new sound didn't come together for the album at all.  It took
TED the whole of the '82 tour to sort out how it ought to be played.

>I don't really understand what you mean here. I don't hear any
difference in the way they played it on the album and in Toronto, the
"last show."

Hmmm.  I do.  It was lots faster, which forced a softer sound.  Roger
couldn't yell at that speed.

> Brian posted an article on O&S and somebody pointed out where Pete
says the WAY album is more of Lifehouse--about reliving the same
experience over and over again (something he was probably feeling about
that time).

>Obviously. The thing is: what's the point of rehashing where he'd been?

A different vantage point.  Who's Next is a sweet romantic thing
compared to WAY.  WAY sounds older, wiser and sadder, but that doesn't
make it weaker.  It develops the philosophical core of Lifehouse.

>Why need I consult anyone? After all, I've been a ROCK fan pretty much
since it was invented...and never really liked bubblegum (either the
music or the gum itself). My taste ranges far and wide, from XTC to
Elvis...Dave Brubeck to Pearl Jam...etc. etc. Get my drift? I've been
studying Rock music for more than 25 years now...not just listening, but
studying it.

Any other kinds of music?  Have you listened to classical, new age,
opera, blues, contemporary composers?  Rock and roll is actually fairly
limited as to rhythm and technique; as soon as you change the beat,
you're into another genre.  You think WAY is weaker because you don't
hear that strong RnR technique, but actually it's just more progressive.

>But I find your assertion that Townshend outgrew RnR without any
substance; if so, then why was he performing the `orrible Barefooting
seven years later?

I didn't say he abandoned it.  Just that he wanted to do other things,
as well.

>I believe PT as a Rock artist can and has moved the genre forward, but
whenever he dabbles elsewhere it doesn't quite make it.

Check out the Juilliard Orchestra playing his music and tell me that
again.  PT doesn't conform very well to any genre.

>IMHO, of course. I also think he got too deep "into" synthesizer-work,
as his last album shows...makes it sound a bit out of date, it does.

What?  Psychoderelict?

>No, Moon was FAR from perfect at this point. Check out the history of
the making of this album. They coud barely keep Moon together to record
an entire song. It is the least of his recorded work.  Daltrey was
clearly hoarse and straining. Why didn't they do another take
and get it right? It's not like he had lost his voice, as he proved on
the next two albums.  Tell you what: listen to WAY and LAL back to back,
and then tell me honestly you can't hear the difference in Moon &
Daltrey.

Sure, but there are a few years in between, with assorted wear and tear.
And it's different situations.  All LAL required was volume.  WAY was
likely tough work for Roger with fifteen years of milege on his voice,
and it's not that stuff where you can get by with just screaming--it
required expression.  Listen to Tommy and WAY back to back and notice
how it developed.  RD's voice sounds worse now, but he can still hook
people just because he learned to do that expression bit.

I can't complain about Moon's performance on WAY.  I think the shift
away from RnR was likely difficult for him, as it required different
rhythms, just when he wasn't in the best shape to deal with changes.
Regardless of how hard it was to get him into shape for the sessions,
though, the drumming fits the music.  By now you'll have figured out
that I like WAY better than LAL. (Sacrilige!)

<ducking>

>However, I can't call the job he does in Had Enough and Love Is Coming
Down On Me "fantastic" or even more than mediocre. Especially in LICD,
it seems to be he's "doing himself" rather than honestly singing.

He's struggling with the technique.  Roger's voice is actually made for
LAL.  He has to work hard at making it expressive, and I think that's
why it's so mesmerizing.

keets