Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #40

At 20:04 -0800 2/11/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:

>Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 7:03:01 +0100
>From: Mail Delivery System <postmaster@alf2.ngate.uni-regensburg.de>
>Subject: Delivery failure notification

[digest snipped]

Oh man, not one of these again...

>Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:02:56 EST
>From: Oshangrl@aol.com
>
>I know that there will be some fans out there that will be
>reading this and thinking this is boring

Are you KIDDING?  More!  More!  Someone with a _Concert File_ could
probably get it out and put exact dates to these events...:-).

>Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:08:07 PST
>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Nissan & bootlegs
>
>>Most of the higher price you generally pay for boots

>People should get more money for doing something illegal?

"Should" isn't involved.  It's not a moral question.  The fact is that
people MUST be paid (in some form, money or otherwise) for taking any kind
of risk, or they won't take it.  That's why underwater welders (for
example) make a lot money...it's hard dangerous work.  A risk doesn't have
to be illegal, but illegality is one form of risk, which must be
compensated for.

>Just about everybody can make their own cds from tapes they make or
>trade for now.  Why should I pay big bucks for what somebody else makes?

I'm not arguing that you should.  If the price the producer asks isn't
worth it to you, walk away.  If enough people do the same, the producer
will have to lower his price or go out of business.  The fact that boots
routinely sell for, say 50% more than legit releases, indicates that that
price is the balance beween the risks and effort the producers must undergo
and the value of their product to the consumers.  Ain't a free market great?

>[John Lee Hooker]  wasn't thinking of quitting because of boots, I
>guess, but just because of the cut-throat way the music business works.

Eeyep.  Different subject.

>>Have you really?  Have you also decided what in the f*** would give
>anyone any incentive to produce boots, then?
>
>Tape or cd trading seems to be a good way to go.

That's fine, but that's just another path to get the music you want, not
anything that will replace commercial boots.  Tape & CD trading seem to me
to be more for hardcore fans such as ourselves who have the time and
interest to meet others who specialize in a single band and are willing to
handcraft copies.  It's an even more esoteric niche market than that served
by the commercial boot market.

If the boots are from
>live material, then they ought to be available from other sources.  If
>they're stolen tapes, I wouldn't want to encourage that, anyhow.

I agree, stealing tapes from artists (or anyone) is clearly a Bad Thing.

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)