Re: Nissan & bootlegs

>Most of the higher price you generally pay for boots are a combination
of the higher cost of making a small number of copies and compensation
for the risk of being discovered, having one's entire inventory
confiscated, and possibly going to jail.

People should get more money for doing something illegal?

>He should have just said, "Then don't buy them."

Just about everybody can make their own cds from tapes they make or
trade for now.  Why should I pay big bucks for what somebody else makes?

>You must not have read much of the discussion on the other list.  It
was well argued that boots do not financially harm artists.

I couldn't tell which side won.  It was kind of a mess.

>Even if you could name me even one person who stopped creating music
>because of bootlegs, I'd just say s/he quit for the wrong reasons.
Hell, musicians I know are happy when they start getting popular enough
to BE booted.

There was a profile of John Lee Hooker on TV last night, and an
interview where he said he wasn't going to record any more because other
people got all the money and he never got any.  I guess after that some
big stars recorded albums with him and got him better deals (Pete
Townshend included).  He wasn't thinking of quitting because of boots, I
guess, but just because of the cut-throat way the music business works.

>Have you really?  Have you also decided what in the f*** would give
anyone any incentive to produce boots, then?

Tape or cd trading seems to be a good way to go.  If the boots are from
live material, then they ought to be available from other sources.  If
they're stolen tapes, I wouldn't want to encourage that, anyhow.

keets