Fletcher's Moon Book

>Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:33:49 EST
From: WTFAU@aol.com
Subject: MOON

Although, I wonder if Keith was really as innocent in his pre-Who days (w/the
Beachcombers) as Tony paints him (no alcohol, steady job, no (few) girls, etc.
- -- although he seems to have always been a prankster).

Thoughts??<

I look at it this way, I have no reason to doubt Mr. Fletcher.  He's done
alot to debunk a lot of myths that have surrounded Keith all these years.

It seems plausible in that he was what, about 15/ 16, being driven to his
Beachcombers audition and the occasional gig by his dad and stuff.  And I
don't recall it being mentioned that the other lads in the Beachcombers were
much beyond substance use than the occasional pint or two.  To do the
substance abuse thing with his father in tow and without a peer group
infrastructure around him to support that lifestyle, I find Tony's assertion
plausible.  He was at that time honing his prankster skills that would
eventually become legendary with The Who as well as his drum skills however.
But I think the pill popping fad didn't really start until the '63/ '64 era
when Keith finally joined up with TED, however this timeline is an
assumption on my part and might need some correction.  And 16, especially
then, is/ was a pretty young age to be seriously getting on with the girls.
Dating yes but carnal knowledge ...the looser free sex thing didn't start
until the mid to late '60s.

Let me just add too that reading this book makes me wonder like you.  I thought
I had a pretty good picture of who Keith was but my thinking has taken on
some serious realignment while reading this thing.  There just ain't nothin like
the truth.

Just my two cents.

And do you ever find it a bit arrogant that people offer there two cents but
only give a penny for your thoughts:)

Change is inevitable except from a vending machine!

Beau (five and dime) McCrury