Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #33

At 10:05 -0800 2/5/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 11:11:54 EST
>From: Oshangrl@aol.com
>
>I have been on The Who's mailing list for a while now and I can't help
>thinking how silly it is for everyone to be analyzing to such a great extent
>the underlying meanings of many of their lyrics.  What I say to myself every
>time I read one of these letters is the members of the Who would be
>saying....don't these people have anything better to do?

Well, no, not really, not until any of the guys get out onstage again.
When no one's on tour, there's not much else to do but chew over various
other topics.  Personally, I'd love a good discussion on the influences of
other authors and lyricists on Pete's writing or the symbolism and
semiotics in Who lyrics.  Along these very lines, I'll (re)mention that
Larry Smith's book on analysis of Pete's art in historical context, _The
Minstrel's Dilemma_, is reportedly due to start shipping to bookstores on
Feb. 26th.

BTW, as one of those guilty of chiming in on the Clinton and Jimi
discussions, I'd like to say that it's kind of bewildering to still be
reading rants about taking off-topic posts offline when those of us
actually having the conversation did take it offline 2 or 3 days ago.
Reminds me of the old line about the Internet consisting of a screaming
crowd armed with sticks pounding a grease spot on the pavement that used to
be a dead horse.

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)