another review

>I've just got back from the show.

HE FUCKIN' DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The big man trashed a gold Strat during My Generation
- obviously because *I* was there, of course.

The show was truly fantastic (loud beyond belief too!)
and was described by one guy as "The Road To Damascus"
and I can't really argue with him there.

The set list is something of a blur, but I'll have a
go anyhow - Ian Clarke has written it all down, so I'm
sure his post will be better than mine, but here goes:

I Can't Explain
Substitute
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Pinball Wizard
My Wife
Baba O'Riley
Happy Jack - completely unrehearsed and basically
busked
Pure And Easy
Getting In Tune
After The Fire - great version here - Roger putting
his heart into it.
Boris The Spider
Who Are You
Magic Bus
5:15
Naked Eye
Won't Get Fooled Again
The Kids Are Alright
My Generation

It was rainging and cold outside but when we finally
got inside, Ian, Leigh and I managed to get down
infront of Pete's (less than) stack (he was using
Hiwatts tho') - we avoided John's side of the stage
for obvious reasons.  The Dutch guys (good to see
Bjorn there - you couldn't miss the red hair!!) were
infront of Roger.

It took them bloody ages to get on stage - to be
honest it was something near unprofessional, but then
with what followed, it was easily forgotten.  Bobby
Priden kept making periodic appearances to stick set
lists to the floor and just when everything seemed all
set, he appeared again with a revised version - maybe
the Deep Love Remix of the set list........

Out they came to the obviously tumultuous reception
and blasted through the first 4 songs. My Wife had
John in pretty good voice and was stretched out for
longer than I've ever heard it on any boot.

Pete asked the audience what they should play and Rog
suggested Happy Jack - Pete claimed he didn't know it
but they did it anyhow - and it really did look like
they hadn't rehearsed it at all, but Pete got it
mostly right and Roger managed to get all the words.

It was there that things started to go wrong.  Roger
was struggling from there for the rest of the show
with his earpieces and at one point during 5:15, threw
the box attached to his belt at Bobby and pulled out
the earpieces.  He then proceeded to storm off and
from where I was (and I think I've got a decent
picture of it too!) he let rip at Bob about it all.
Meanwhile, John was filling the time with a tremendous
solo, right out of the top drawer - Roger thanked him
at the end for *filling in*.

Afer that, Pete then started to have problems with his
Strats - changing them mid song every so often for one
that he assumed would work - it looked to me like it
was problems with the leads.  During Naked Eye, pete
lost it and pretty much threw the guitar at his guitar
rodie (fat, old bloke with a shaven head - I don't
envy him tonight) and switched to acoustic.  Rabbit
did a tremendous job with John and Zak filling in -
Roger was still mouthing to the wings that he couldn't
hear a thing he was playing.

When My Generation came along, Pete had finally
managed to get the Gold Strat going again until it
stopped on him again.  He tool it off over his
shoulder and went to hand it to the rodie again but
turned, held it by the neck and obliterated it on the
stage - 2 goes and it was in ruins - £1500 down the
swanny..................

I'm sure there are some omissions here and I'm sure
other people will post the correct set list, but this
is what *I* remember and to be honest, if there's a
single journalist that can rubbish The Who in the
papers over here this week and actually manage to
justify his comments, then I'll buy him a beer.  Sure
they did go a bit flat with Pure And Easy and Getting
In Tune, but hey - there still here and they fucking
rock!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas Mr. Who indeed.

See everyone tomorrow and if anyone has taped it (and
tomorrow) please let me know - I've got a decent list
of stuff to trade for them - double trade if you like.
Not begging, just keen to re-live this experience.