favorites

I've read postings on this list for a long time, and as a longtime Who
fanatic (since seeing them live for the first time the night before
Thaksgiving in 1967), felt compelled to identify my favorite three
songs. Here goes: 1) The Naked Eye (particulary the remastered Odds &
Sods version) is the all-time masterpiece, in my opinion; 2)
Quadrophenia, the album's instrumental title cut that reviews then
combines all four musical themes; 3) Dig, off Pete's Iron Man album but
vintage Who, nevertheless. As for most memorable moments, the
opportunity to meet, inroduce my daughter to and talk with Entwistle
several times in recent years ranks right up there. But, back in fall of
'69 or spring of '70, I think, when The Who played a joint called the
Grande Riviera in Detroit, up the street a bit from the Grande Ballroom.
Standing room only (I got a seat on a step in the balcony). Tommy
performed in its entirety, fairly soon after fans had gotten a chance to
become familiar with it and could follow and even sing along. I'd seen
The Who live three or four times previously, and many times since, but
that night really was special. Dave.