Jesus vs. Tommy

I was in a store this weekend and heard a couple of tracks from the rock
opera "Jesus Christ Superstar". I know it's an Andrew L. Webber/Tim Rice
piece, but I can't help but hear subtle similarities to Pete's rock
operas. (Maybe it's because I've heard Tommy and Quad a million times).
For example, the blueprint for the albums seem very similar with
recurring musical chords. Quad, Tommy and JC all have a final anthem to
bring the concept to a close. Anyway, I wonder which one was written
first (Tommy or JC) and did one influence the other? I am not a follower
of Andrew Webber but I always thought Jesus Christ Superstar was great.
(I learned more about Christ from that album then I did from 12 years of
catholic schools.) I always wondered how cool would it be seeing Roger
perform that role? I think the lead singer from Deep Purple played
Christ for the play 20 years ago.

Just a thought,
Dave K.