Who facts

Hey folks.

I too think that this discussion stuff if good, be it negative or
positve.  I hope that I didn't rub anybody's rhubarb with my statements
about art previously (I got some strong emotional responses).  I stand
by everything I said, but my intention wasn't one of antagonism.  But
enough of the disclaimer...

One thing that really encourages me are the number of young Who fans
that have added to the discussions.  I think that's great.  The Who is a
band that should always be remembered because they contributed so much
to rock music, but they haven't gotten the recognition/respect that they
so deserve.  While the Beatles have reached deity status, and the Stones
are considered the "greatest rock and roll band", The Who are left in
the cold.  Yet, The Who has had the MOST profound impact on modern music
than ANY other rock band.  Period.

Fact:  The Who created the form of modern rock that has remained
UNCHANGED since they started in the early 60s.  They were the first band
to be loud, the first band to play distorted, and the first band to put
a physical twist on their live performance (Mick Jagger doesn't count
because, although very unique in 1964 for a rock singer, he was only
dancing).  All of these elements created by The Who remain the basic
foundation for the rock format today.  See Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Foo
Fighters, etc... etc... etc...  It may be packaged differently, but it
still is The Who.  That, to me, makes them more influential and
important than even the Beatles, whom I love.  That friends is only ONE
facet of the mutli-faceted Who.  And I didn't need to be a PhD to figure
that out.

Take it easy all,  and don't get fooled again.

"The simple things you see are all complicated." P.T.

Final note:  Somebody said that Pete wasn't good with metaphor.  Read
the lyrics to "The Sea Refuses No River" and if you can't find superb
use of metaphor there, you just aren't looking.  "Remember that when a
beggar buys a round."