Re: Report Card

> And the original Brunswick is just a hair better than the Virgin.  Both
> Virgin and Brunswick vinyl versions are vastly superior to the MCA CD, even
> the new mono.  And to put an old rumor to rest, I've never heard a single
> copy of the Virgin "My Generation" over a period of almost 20 years now
> where the vinyl seemed to have deteriorated in any way other than normal wear.

Brian:

I was told the Virgin was slightly better, so it must be close either
way. In any case I don't currently own the Brunswick version (but am
expecting the PHASES boxed set any day in the mail, so I soon will). If
it's a matter of a "hair," I doubt I'll burn another one. While my
Virgin version has slight surface noise in a few places (so does every
LP I've ever owned), it is surprisingly good even so. One thing's
definite: when you make a CD out of a LP or tape, you notice each and
every defect in the sound!

> I'm also sure MCA could today put out a great sounding CD of MG, but
> everyone is still waiting for the Shel Talmy business to be settled.

The last I heard, they had given up. That Polydor had killed the deal
for good. Is there still hope? Are they still negotiating?
I've also been made aware that there may be yet-unreleased Talmy tracks,
too, which is damned interesting as well. Maybe the songs recorded for
the aborted first album of mostly cover songs??? Any info on that,
anyone?

--

 "But he made too many enemies/Of the people
    who would keep us on our knees..."

                      Cheers                ML