Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #237

Brian wrote:
>There's an interesting article in today's The Times of London where a music
>critic reflects on Ray Davies' commission for an oratorio and again decries
>rock stars feeling they have to write beyond the three-minute single.  One
>of his statements is that "Tommy" will soon be forgotten while "My
>Generation" will live forever.

>This is rather a sore point with me.  I feel that the basis of this is an
>ingrained prejudice that WORKING CLASS ROCK STARS SHOULD STAY IN THEIR
>PLACE.  I also think that this prejudice and its effect of limiting rock to
>three minutes and three chords is why rock is nearly dead today.  What are
>your thoughts?

This is an interesting topic.  My wife's cousin is in a band in NY, NY.
Over labor day we had a small jam session and were discussing what his next
steps where with songs, recording, etc.  I suggested that the rock world is
in desperate need for a concept album that tells a story, and contains
interchanges and a variety of harmony segments, solo performances, a
beginning, middle and an end.  Since I don't know much, but I know what I
like, I suggested that he study The Who for an excellent blue-print for
this kind of approach.   He said he thought it was arrogant to do that for
thier first album.  I suggested that he may want to rethink the idea
because he may only get one chance to record and release something.

You are right about it being nearly dead.  When was the last time you heard
a "Jungleland" or "A Day In The Life", or "The Amazing Journey"?
Commercial success has produced mediocrity through the encouraging of
conformity.  That's why I appreciate Pete's writing and performing so much.
 Through all of his admitted shortcomings, he pushes the envelope by just
being himself.  He's a genius!

Joe Lewinski from Philadelphia.