Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #258

12:53:02 PM

Please respond to TheWho@igtc.com

To:   TheWho-Digest
cc:    (bcc: Paul Vannelli/BOSTON/IDX1)
Body:

The Who Mailing List Digest
 Sunday, November 22 1998 Volume 05 : Number 258

In this issue:

     Opera or Concept?
     Re: Remasters
     Remasters
     More Mould
     Firsts
     Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #257
     Re: FIRSTS
     Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #257
     Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #257
     Remasters
     Re: first rock opera?
     Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #257
     Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #256
     Re: this McGoo character issue
     Who Firsts
     [none]
     Re: Dead Poets??

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:00:35 -0500
From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
Subject: Opera or Concept?

> >What do you all think?

Christy:

I think Stern is a genius, and McGoo is not a genius.

> Well, I need more firsts and since there is a hell of a lot of knowledge
in this digest, I figured I'd ask everyone to talk about Who firsts.  So,
please, be my guest...

Chuck:

They were the first RnR band to break out of the Chuck Berry/Blues form
of song, thereby creating Rock music. They were the first to do a Punk
song (AAA, and even though the Kinks had the sound their lyrics were
still standard love song stuff). And the first to do Heavy Metal.

> I seem to remember reading or hearing someone argue that the Kinks'
> "Arthur" should be considered the first rock opera, barely beating Tommy.
> I dunno though, I'm not even sure when Arthur was released.  Maybe
someone
> else knows?

Bill:

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure TOMMY was released first. And to
the other notes, even as a huge Kinks fan I still must point that ARTHUR
is NOT a Rock Opera. It is a soundtrack of a TV film which was never
aired, or maybe even made since it's still never turned up. It is a
series of songs about a group of people, specifically Arthur and his
family...but it's not a complete and unified story, like T. If one
insists that it IS, then I'd have to cite the earlier VILLAGE GREEN
album as the same thing, about a village.
SF SORROW may or may not be a Rock Opera...it's been called one, but I
don't get that sense from listening to the songs. I think rather these
are concept albums...and SGT. PEPPER'S is also a concept album, even if
the concept is the sound itself instead of the subject. Then there's
DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED, which certainly MUST be a Rock Opera if the other
contenders are. And so on.

- --

                      Cheers                ML

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:01:04 PST
From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Remasters

The remastered QUAD is excellent, as re-engineering tidied up technical
difficulties with the original.  I have less of an opinion on TOMMY, but
it sounds okay to me.  (Nothing quite replace the vinyl sound as far as
I'm concerned--and now digital TV is coming, too. <sigh>)

keets

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:27:22 -0500
From: "Lisa" <lisaann@niagara.com>
Subject: Remasters

- ------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BE1491.E2F3E240

Definately put these on your Christmas list.  There is a huge =
improvement in sound quality on both Quad & Tommy. =20

- ------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BE1491.E2F3E240

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Definately put these on your =
Christmas=20
list.&nbsp; There is a huge improvement in sound quality on both Quad =
&amp;=20
Tommy.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:51:46 -0500
From: Eric  Tischler <EricT@ACA.ORG>
Subject: More Mould

I feel like this has been mentioned before, but Mould's last band, Sugar,
did a fantastic version of "Armenia City in the Sky" which was/is
available as a b-side (is it on the be-sides comp?) -E

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:59:45 -0500
From: Eric  Tischler <EricT@ACA.ORG>
Subject: Firsts

Were they the first to use sequencing in rock music (Baba O'Reily,
WGFA) ? you couldn't have electronica, techno, etc. without sequencing.
I think the Moody Blues used Moogs before Pete got to ARPs, but I can't
hear the Moogs. Can the Who get credit for first use of synths? -E

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:27:39 +0100
From: Lukas Ljungdahl <lukas.0640682770@telia.com>

The version of Young Man Blues on "30 years of maximum R & B" (from Isle of
Wight)
is also longer than the one on the CD. Maybe it's the same version as on
the DVD? But I'm not sure, 'cause this version seems to be even longer.
Lukas

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:53:32 PST
From: "cole nelson" <glowgurrl@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: FIRSTS

I think Keith Moon wasthe first to use 2 bass drums.
                                 NiCoLe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:19:14 -0500
From: "Joe Lewinski" <lewinski@icanon.com>

Carl wrote:
>I've been looking at these posts, and I've got the feeling a lot of people
>are from Chicago on here, including me. Just for a head count, who is?
It's
>weird that Chicago can produce so many cyber-Who fans.
>Carl

I'm from Philly, and I know that Brian is from Atlanta!

Paul from Boston along with many other "True WHO Fans"

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
215.653.0754 x 15

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:29:59 -0500
From: "Joe Lewinski" <lewinski@icanon.com>

Christy wrote:
>Anyway, my point is that this McGoo character seems to be doing the same
>thing to many folks on the list.  He's just trying to get a rise out of
us.
>If we were to resist the urge to respond, his game wouldn't be as much fun
>for him anymore.

You may be on to something here.  McGoo thinks he's the "new boss".  Thanks
for
the heads up.  We won't get fooled ... next time.

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
215.653.0754 x 15

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:48:38, -0500
From: KGiles@prodigy.com ( K D GILES)

Robert wrote:

>I own all of the "remastered" sets except for Quad and Tommy, and I
=
>would like some opinions of these re-done versions.

I think they are both excellent, especially the "Tommy" one.  When I
heard that for the first time I dropped my CD case several times.  It
was so good that I was unable to concentrate on anything else,
including basic motor skills!

>(Hurry, I don't need any more boxers or socks!)

Well do I remember the Christmas where I received no less than three
giant packages full of socks.  Not exactly the sort of thing to make
a girl peep round the door in curiosity.

- -Yellow "I don't know what day it is" Ledbetter

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:28:15 -0500
From: Brian Cady <cadyb@home.com>
Subject: Re: first rock opera?

I would say that Pete and Kit Lambert invented the
concept of the rock (or pop) opera.  This was in
mid-1966.  Unfortunately, Pete told the press about his
plans and there were several bands that did rock operas
prior to "Tommy."  The first of Pete's operas was
"Quads" that was finally released as the single "I'm a
Boy."

               -Brian in Atlanta

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:13:42 -0600 (CST)
From: emilyjackson@webtv.net (Emily Jackson)

>The version of Young Man Blues on "30 years
>of maximum R & B" (from Isle of Wight) is also
>longer than the one on the CD. Maybe it's the
>same version as on the DVD?

I checked my "30 Years" laser disc this afternoon, and "Young Man Blues"
is exactly the same length as on the IOW DVD.

Emily

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 02:26:49 -0600 (CST)
From: William Sherman -Visualization <wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu>

> From: Alan McKendree <amck@thenetdr.com>
> Subject: Re: oh well...
>
> I suppose it's true that you haven't met him, but a PhD on the faculty of
> an Indiana university is working on a book-length analysis of Pete's life
> and work, currently called _The Minstrel's Dilemma_.

Hmmm, sounds vaguely like a title Hofstadter might use.

> You heard it here first.  Maybe.  Depending on who you are.

Here is where I first heard it.

     Bill -- also from Champaign

/* Bill Sherman  (wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu)                                */
/* National Center for Supercomputing Applications                       */
/* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                            */
/*     Og - "You want to do mankind a real service?  Tell funnier jokes" */
/*  Spinner - "but facts don't always reveal the truth"                  */
/*      Robin - "Yeah, but I always figure that's the writers' fault"    */
/*************************************************************************/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:11:34 -0200
From: Lucas Bleicher <bleicher@who.net>
Subject: Re: this McGoo character issue

Christy & Allison Espy wrote:

(...)
> Anyway, my point is that this McGoo character seems to be doing the same
> thing to many folks on the list.  He's just trying to get a rise out of
us.
> If we were to resist the urge to respond, his game wouldn't be as much
fun
> for him anymore.
> Of course, things could just go on as before and I'll just continue to
> scroll right through all the Emily/Pete related stuff (for lack of
another
> word).
> What do you all think?

Well, I got involved on the discussion because I knew I had arguments to
prove he was wrong with his "Rock was, is and always will be crap"
thing.
And in fact it seems he just gave up...
Well, he knows a lot to discuss poetry, but not music.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:29:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Derick Bhupsingh <d056071c@dc.seflin.org>
Subject: Who Firsts

Ok. Here's my effort. Apart from being the first band to vomit in the bar
(I prefer trains actually). They were the first to own their equiptment
PA,lightshow etc..and take it on the road,worldwide. Also they were the
first
to have such a technically proficient roadcrew that they formed their own
company and were often hired by other artists. ML Executives,was the name.
 They were the first band to play (in effect actually opening up the
place),
The Rainbow Theater in North London,England.Which went on to become one of
that city's premiere  Rock establishments for a number of years.
They also opened up at least two other Rock concert venues in the north
of England, which would give them two more firsts,The granby hall and the
Dingby hall?(I may need to be corrected here) and if memory serves me right
They were the first ever to play a Cricket ground in England, The Oval.
They
were the first to make it a habit of playing at British soccer stadiums
on a regular basis. I'm almost certain that they were the first to smash up
their guitars and gear onstage.Possibly the first to play live or at least
attempt tp produce a 'Quadrophonic sound'. The movie "TOMMY" was played at
theaters all over England anyway in "Quintophonic sound" which was a
special
system designed by John Mosely ? (I stand to be corrected here again,all of
this is from memory). Anyway it was a first. They were probably the first
be banned by Holiday Inns and British Airways.  I give up for now, need
rest.
I'll try another time maybe..... Regards, Derick.

Derick Bhupsingh
d056071c@dc.seflin.org

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:39:59 -0500
From: Brian <bmcgow01@wild.vill.edu>
Subject: [none]

Like Ross Perot and insurance salesmen, I just won't go away.

> I think Stern is a genius, and McGoo is not a genius.

I don't recall ever saying that I was.

You may be on to something here.  McGoo thinks he's the "new boss".
Thanks
for the heads up.
Not really.  You seem to be dramatizing this too much.  I will never ask
someone to change their opinion, but will ask them to reevaluate their
opinions.  I just wanted you all to see that there is more than Mr.
Townshend in this world, maybe it worked, maybe it didn't.  Win some,
lose more.

> And in fact it seems he just gave up...

No, I rarely give up, I just had some important stuff to do.  Plus it
did get a little exhausting, how many ways are there to say the same
thing?  I mean sure, Neil Young made a career out of it, but I can only
handle it for so long.

"For three years, out of key with his time,
 He strove to resuscitate the dead art
 Of poetry; to maintain 'the sublime'
 In the old sense.  Wrong from the start-"

Perhaps I am out of key with my time, and perhaps poetry is dead and
perhaps I was born wrong.  Or perhaps not.  As long as we are awarding
points for quotation identifications, 20 points to the fella who can
identify that quote.

Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the
sky,

- -McGoo

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:29:45 -0600
From: corkface <corkface@delphi.com>
Subject: Re: Dead Poets??

- ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BE158D.AD7A5480

McGoo:

How's about Ezra Pound?

Is it just a fella that gets the 20 pts., or can a dame score pts. as =
well??

And, btw, I don't think everyone here roots for just The Who, or =
Townshend, for that matter. But keep in mind this is a Who List. You're =
bound to get some flak for comments. But everyone's entitled to his/her =
opinion.

TTFN,
corkface

>"For three years, out of key with his time,
>He strove to resuscitate the dead art
>Of poetry; to maintain 'the sublime'
>In the old sense.  Wrong from the start-"
>
>Perhaps I am out of key with my time, and perhaps poetry is dead and
>perhaps I was born wrong.  Or perhaps not.  As long as we are awarding
>points for quotation identifications, 20 points to the fella who can
>identify that quote.

- ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BE158D.AD7A5480

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>McGoo:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>How's about Ezra Pound?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Is it just a fella that gets the 20 pts., or can a dame score pts. =
as=20
well??</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And, btw, I don't think everyone here roots for just The Who, or =
Townshend,=20
for that matter. But keep in mind this is a Who List. You're bound to =
get some=20
flak for comments. But everyone's entitled to his/her opinion.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>TTFN,</DIV>
<DIV>corkface</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&quot;For three years, out of key with his time,<BR>&gt;He =
strove to=20
resuscitate the dead art<BR>&gt;Of poetry; to maintain 'the =
sublime'<BR>&gt;In=20
the old sense.&nbsp; Wrong from the start-&quot;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Perhaps =
I am out=20
of key with my time, and perhaps poetry is dead and<BR>&gt;perhaps I was =
born=20
wrong.&nbsp; Or perhaps not.&nbsp; As long as we are =
awarding<BR>&gt;points for=20
quotation identifications, 20 points to the fella who =
can<BR>&gt;identify that=20
quote.<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BE158D.AD7A5480--