McCarthyism

> HAVE YOU NO SHAME?  AT LONG LAST, HAVE YOU NO SHAME??
>
> 5 points to any historian
> in the group who can name the famous person who said those capitalized
> words, or the person to whom they were addressed

 You have mildly misquoted former U.S. Army Counsel Joseph Welch.  He
said:
"At long last, sir, have you no sense of decency?  Have you no shame?"
in January 1954 in the first televised Congressional hearings in
American history.  He was replying to McCarthy's seething attacks on the
Secretary of the Army and President Eisenhower.  It was this speech that
basically signaled the end of the road for McCarthy.  He was officially
censured by the Senate (a vote of 65-22, if I recall correctly) in
December of that same year.  After this speech, the Red Scare was pretty
much dead.

> How's about Ezra Pound?

I'm quite impressed.  It's not everyday you run into someone who has
read America's best fascist, neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic, treasonous,
mentally ill poet.  Good poet, bad man.

-McGoo