the Moldy Guy and Pete

Jim in Chicago:

>I just heard a taped interview with Bob Mould the other day where he
credited Pete with getting him interested in performing again.  For
those of you who don't know about Bob Mould, I'll try and give you a
brief:

You were probably listening to the limited edition interview cd that came
with Bob's newest cd "Last Dog and Pony Show" - during that interview Bob
mentions Pete. He's also mentioned him in an interview I saw in a magazine
recently.

>Bob Mould has been a major force on the music scene since the early
80's.  In my opinion, he is the ONLY contemporary rock musician that
comes close to the brilliance of Pete Townshend.  They are very similar
in approach, although, musically, quite different.  Mould began his
career as singer/songwriter/monster-guitarist from the band Husker Du
(IMHO - the closest live band to The Who, since the Who.)
He has gone on to do solo work along with another band, Sugar.  He,
along with Pete, is one of the few artist that have kept their musical
integrity over the years, while continuing to create music who's heart
is on it's sleeve.  The differences between Pete and Bob come from the
labels they have gotten from the music press.  Bob is considered a child
of the "Punk" scene, whereas Pete, of course is stuck in the "Classic
Rock" genre.  Calling Bob a purveyor of Punk is just as foolish as
labeling Pete a "classic rocker".  They are both much more.

AMEN BROTHER!

I've seen solo Mould shows and I've seen solo Pete shows (like the last two
HOB shows in Chicago) and you can see and hear the Who influences in Bob.

>Anyway, Bob Mould, took a hiatus from live performing and credits a show
he did with Pete ("my hero") for getting him excited about performing
again.  Apparently, this show took place last year.  Anybody know
anything about it?  I would love to know.

Supper Club, New York, 1996

>Husker Du album recommendations:  Zen Arcade (Rolling Stone mag's Top 5
Album of the 80's.  A rock opera double-album; rivaled ONLY by
Quadrophenia), New Day Rising (another of Rolling Stone's greatest
albums of the 80's) or Warehouse: Songs and Stories.  You can't go wrong
with any of these.

While I have every Husker recording and think they are all lovely, I
personally love "Warehouse" and "Metal Circus". There is a promo cd called
"Do You Remember" that is a great compilation of Husker songs.

And Sugar's "Copper Blue" is superb. (Hey Jim, I saw Sugar play in Chicago
in 1993 - - - -)

Pamela in Wisconsin