re:Moon film wars

>I just want to understand why a movie on Keith Moon who has been
underrated probably his whole career and even now, has been decided to
be made. Most people my age don't listen to the Who let alone know that
their drummer has revolutionalized drumming in rock music.

Because it looks like a money-making opportunity, of course.  TED has
been out and about for the last couple of years, and suddenly a few more
people know who The Who is and what they used to do.  So this is a great
time to do it, and De Niro has taken notice.

Seems like Roger's version has been in the works for a while, but
stalled for some reason, likely because he wants to present Keith Moon
as a complex human being.  That won't sell nearly as well as a
demolition derby.  De Niro and crew probably mean to produce something
like THE DOORS (1991), which the remaining Doors seem to feel
mis-represented Jim Morrison something awful.

With the right script, a commercial version might work--and it would
have to be commercial to a certain extent in order to reach an audience.
Something that's well-written and properly directed could accomplish
what Roger wants with one or two dramatic scenes.  I guess he's sure De
Niro's script won't do that.

keets