McGow and Rock Music

Mark Leaman wrote:
> This is untrue, and is easily proven wrong. Listen to a Chuck Berry song
> and then a Gentle Giant or King Crimson song, and you'll see what I mean
> (even 20 years ago). Rock music as a creative force pretty much died in
> the `80's, and it was limping even then...so you'll have to do a little
> research not just turn on a radio.

Well, that's Brian's problem. He wants to discuss Rock Music without any
knowledge on it. I'm pretty sure he never heard aboug Gentle Giant or
King Crimson. And the contact he has with rock music nowadays is
probably
what is being played on the radio. Nowadays you have to search a lot to
find good stuff, because only high-selling, low-quality, quick-effect
rock music is expected to play on the radio. But there are very good
bands out there. Sweden is providing us with such good things as
Anekdoten
or Änglagård.

Brian also said:
> when it comes to the arts (literature, music etc.) I seem to
> know far more than most of you.

Well, I agree you know far more than me when it comes to literature. But
I noticed that your knowledge on music is terribly poor. Your arguments
on music are just based on your musician friends opinions. Well, how can
you discuss music without any knowledge on it? You once said that the
chords played by the rock guitarists nowadays are just the same played
forty years ago. Even a person with the lowest knowledge on music knows
that you won't find the 12-bar chord progression (in which 95% of 50's
rock consisted) in 90's rock bands (including the good and the bad
ones).

Shashi wrote:

> Nice break...I agree to everything here Samantha has to say.The use
> of vulgarity or insults does not make anyone look any more
> intelligent. One doesn't have to argue over and over again
> over.....pls discuss something in a more profound manner.

Well, I agree with you and Samantha. People from both sides have used
insults here, but fortunately we also have very good posts on this
topic.

See you all,
Lucas Bleicher