Re: A VERY entertaining list of Who stories at.....

At 20:36 -0700 5/30/98, Joseph wrote:
>Alan McKendree wrote:
>>
>> At 15:53 -0700 5/30/98, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>> >Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 19:10:21 -0700
>> >From: Joseph <joseph9@home.com>
>> >
>> >       Pete also said in this same article that if Keith thought it
>>would get
>> >a laugh out of somebody, he would want to light himself on fire!!!!
>>
>> Pete was quoting himself.  That was one of his first comments about Keith
>> after Keith's death.
>
>	Actually he was'nt.  If you go to the site with all of the different
>articles, you'll see that each article is from a different magazine and
>different year.
>	There were a few interviews of all of the band members (mostly Pete)
>from the '60s, 70's, 80's, and 90's.
>	The article that had him making the above comment about Keith was (if I
>remember correctly) an April '80 interview of Pete.

If you're going to argue details, it would be nice if you'd give
references.  I went to the site, and found a transcription of a February
1994 Playboy interview at
http://www.the-spa.com/thirteen/townshen/playboy.htm (which I had on the
mind, having just re-read the original this afternoon) in which Pete
discusses both Keith "setting himself on fire" and the jumping-off-the
balcony incident.  I don't know whether other interviews/articles exist in
which Pete discusses both those incidents, but the 2/94 Playboy is
certainly one.  I believe he first used the "fire" example in 1978 (I would
look it up but I'm moving and my books are in boxes) and if I'm correct
then he would STILL be quoting himself in your putative April '80 example.

I'll also point out that many people take umbrage at being flatly
contradicted -- even more so when they are correct -- and/or patronized.  I
tend to be one of them.  Others get cranky when they move, and I'm
DEFINITELY one of them, so apologies if I'm overreacting.

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)