Re: Scene Club

> I believe he sang that way on purpose.

Mick:

You make a very good case. I don't doubt it, especially since it has
been reported the way he sings Young Man Blues on the new O&S is the
correct speed. As hard as it is for me to believe, even now.

> I'm guessing that the "Marquee tapes" he refers to are actually from the
> Scene Club.

Yes, Ha! Even the band members would be in the dark about where the
boots are from...after all, THEY weren't paying attention to it
(especially back then). It's pretty clear that fans know more about
their career than they do.

> copy).  Sure would be cool if the acetate of SL which The Who recorded for
> their failed EMI audition in October of '64 was to turn up someday.

If it's anywhere as good as the two which were on the new O&S, then
YEEEESSSSSS! IMHO, those are the absolute best two tracks on it.

> Definitely.  I merely adjusted the pitch control on my turntable until the
> music sounded right to my ears.

I was thrown because doing that with the studio Summertime Blues never
QUITE worked out.

> footage used in the "I Can't Explain" promo, then the venue was The Railway
> Hotel in August '64 and not The Scene Club (nor The Marquee, as already
> established). Here is why:

> Anally yours,
> Stoo

Stoo:

Anal you MAY be (I wouldn't call it that, unless we all are), but it
makes for a great way to ferret out the facts! Congrats to your
detectivework as well.

> You can notice it on the "My Generation" LP.  Daltrey sings the earlier
> tracks like "Please Please Please" and "I'm a Man" (probably recorded in
> March) at a much lower pitch than the later songs like "The Kids Are
> Alright" (recorded in October).  From there he went on to "I'm a Boy."
> It was indeed quite a shift!

Brian:

Indeed! I'm still reeling from the realization that he is the singer in
Armenia...which, before the remix, I would have sworn was "Speedy" Keen
himself.

--

            Cheers                ML

   "All the nonconformists are doing it."