Re: Scene Club

Mark, re:

In all of it, no matter how I
>adjust the speed, Daltrey's voice sounds a bit slow (or I should say
>deeper than it should be). Either he sang that way on purpose, or that's
>how it it came out on the film soundtrack.

I believe he sang that way on purpose.  In issue #5 of Naked Eye, there's an
interview with Daltrey in which he makes mention of this vocal "phenomenon".
And I quote, "I used to sound like Howling Wolf.  If you listen to the
Marquee tapes I sound more like Howling Wolf than Howling Wolf does!  I used
to drink so much whiskey that my voice used to hang out (deep growl)".  He
also says that he had to "reinvent" himself in order to sing Pete's songs.
I'm guessing that the "Marquee tapes" he refers to are actually from the
Scene Club.   Either way, his gutteral singing style on the Scene Club tape
certainly sounds like a Howlin' Wolf wannabe to me.  Especially on
"Smokestack Lightning" (incorrectly identified as "Spoonful" on my vinyl
copy).  Sure would be cool if the acetate of SL which The Who recorded for
their failed EMI audition in October of '64 was to turn up someday.

 Either way, it makes it very
>hard to use as a reference point.

Definitely.  I merely adjusted the pitch control on my turntable until the
music sounded right to my ears.

Buck