"Import" Review

As promised, here's my take on the latest Who "import" release: Who
Remembers The High Numbers.
About half of the material has already been released on ("import") LP as
Dance To Keep From Crying. DTKFC was offspeed, but that has been
corrected here. The material is said to be from the Marquee Club in the
Fall of 1964...but this has been debated, so perhaps Bruce can give us
some insight there. Bruce? Care to give us the latest on it?
I suppose the best comparison would be to the Beatles' Star Club tapes,
although this sounds a BIT better and is all Blues/RnB.
The first four tracks are already released studio cuts, on the boxed set
if nowhere else:

I'm The Face/Zoot Suit/Leaving Here/Here Tis

These are the so-called Marquee Club songs:

Dance (To Keep From Crying)/You Really Got Me/Young Man Blues/Green
Onions/Improvisions/Long Tall Shorty/Pretty Thing/Smokestack
Lightning/Money/Here Tis (this one song sounds slow)

To round out this 65 minute disc they include three alternate takes of
AQO from the Stones RnR Circus. Sound quality is pretty bad, but what
the Hell...they're "bonus tracks" (says so right on the package).
I'd say get it if you can, because the Marquee Club tracks are the best
peek at early live Who we're likely to get. And it probably won't be
around for long, although mine (at least) is on a computer-recorded
disc...which, if it becomes as widespread as it easily could, may be the
future of bootlegging.

--

            Cheers                ML

   "All the nonconformists are doing it."