Re: Re Jools and Jim

>>The Jools that you mentioned - is that the
>>reporter mentioned in Pete's song Jools and Jim?

Here's the story on that one from Pete:

PT: I wrote the song after someone from the Guardian wrote an article
about them to promote their book, and he got very animated about how they
didn’t give a s*** about Sid Vicious going down. Then Tony brought up
Keith as well and said, "F*** Keith Moon, we’re better off without him.
Decadent c*** driving Rolls Royces into swimming pools; if that’s what
rock ‘n’ roll’s about, who needs it?" To a certain extent I
agreed with a bit of it, but I feel that it was a bit of opportunist
cock.

I don’t know if they care, but I’d like to see this f***ing Rolls Royce
in the swimming pool. I spoke to the guy who bought his house, the
drummer from lOcc, and he said there was one in there, but I get the
feeling
that someone wheeled it in just to validate the story.

The most interesting Keith Moon stories aren’t about Rolls Royces being
driven into swimming pools. The secret of Keith Moon’s driving problems
was that he couldn’t steer.  When he was behind a steering wheel and he
wanted to go left he used to turn it the wrong way, so he only used to
drive cars in his own garden.

I just wrote the song as a reaction.  I rang Tony up the day after I’d
written it and explained. I was going to send him a copy, and then I
decided I wouldn’t send him one until it came out after I’d decided that
if it was a good song to go on the album. I thought "F*** it, he’ll get
it in the end."

I only read their book the other day and I quite liked it. I changed the
title from "Jools and Tone" to "Jools and Jim" because it’s not directly
about them; it’s about taking a stance and believing what you read.  It’s
just another "don’t believe what you read" song. I think it’s one of the
best songs on the album. The energy’s great and I really like the singing
on it.

But I was amazed at how well-written the book was. I hadn’t read much
rock press for a long time, because when that incredible first rash of
new bands appeared and New Musical Express got very fiery, I got confused
and couldn’t keep up.  I’d go to the States for a month and when I came
back, everything would have changed.  You needed to read it every week,
very carefully, and I just liked flicking through, so I stopped
altogether. I read something Julie wrote recently – the Radio 4 piece –
and I could see her ending up writing for The Listener, but I thought
their book was great. It was the sort of thing that I would be very proud
of having written if I’d written it.

It was almost a challenge. That’s what it was to a lot of people like me.
Their presence really shook me. Their book is about hypocrisy pretty
exclusively, but I think you can accuse anybody of hypocrisy and be
right. I think everybody’s a hypocrite in one way or another. There is no
bigger sin than hypocrisy, but then there’s no more common one.  Calling
someone a hypocrite is the height of hypocrisy."

                                     -Brian in Atlanta

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]