Petes musical education

Buck wrote:

>I believe our man Pete is very much a self-taught musician.  Got
music in
>his blood, though.  His old man was saxophonist in a WWII-era big
band and
>his mom a vocalist in that style.

This is all true, and more!  Counting Emma and Ben Townshend (Pete's
daughter and nephew, respectively), the Townshend clan has been
involved in making music for at least four generations.  As Emma said,
 it's sort of the family business.

>Seem to recall reading once that Pete
>taught himself to read music when he was attempting (to no avail) to
write a
>score for "Tommy" back in '68-69.

I don't believe this is correct.  Pete has said many, many times that
he does not know how to read music.  However, I have heard that he
learned how when working on the Broadway production of "Tommy" in '93
or so.  I don't know if that's true or not, but maybe that's what you
heard too.

-Yellow "My family's business is dairy farming, worse luck!"
Ledbetter