Catching Up on Past Digests

ML:
>I heard rumours of
a SGT. PEPPERS boxed set to have been released last October (obviously
it wasn't). A SMILE boxed set, too.<

Believe it or not, I'm not excited by a PEPPER box.  Don't
think it'd be much different from the official takes, and would
be quite repetitious.  SMILE, on the other hand, I've been
longing for since I heard the excerpts on the Beach Boys
box!  Bring it on--better than PET SOUNDS in mono & stereo
on four discs, for crying out loud!!

>> Oh, and has anyone else heard "Zoot Suit Riot" by the
> Cherry Popping Daddies?

Carolyn, sometimes you scare me. Our opinions and experiences coincide
often.<

We both have great taste in music, I know that. <g>

>My partner is a big Jazz fan, and that one came into my store just
before his Birthday. So I gave it to him, and despite the two expensive
bootleg CDs of his favorite bands I also gave him, the CPD remains his
favorite. It's a great album.<

I'd like to hear more.  Reminds me of THE MASK soundtrack.

>re: Under My Thumb

I meant to mention this yesterday...I don't understand why they remixed
this one to exclude the electric guitar...but they did. The bass isn't
as upfront, either...in the original mix, it takes the vibes' part.<

The new mix really sucks, IMHO.  At least the original is still on
TWO'S MISSING, although out of print.

>There are still 25 previously released
>songs currently out of print by my count. Not counting the MG album.
>I'll post a list if anyone's interested.<

Please do!  I want to see if yours matches mine.  No, honestly,
I'm too lazy to sit down & figure out which tracks are missing. <g>

Oh, and thanks for the info on Yellow Dog.  I have heard that
they're good, but the "Unsurpassed Masters" duplicate too
much that I have on ANTHOLOGY.  I'm sure that the bootleggers
are working on that problem....

Actually, in some ways, I don't disapprove of pirated records.
McCartney infuriates me by releasing many songs as B-sides
in the UK only for a limited time--and this is some of his best
material!!  Maybe a pirate box of that stuff would give him a
kick in the ass to release it on an official box.  I hope so.

Buck:
Thanks so much for the info on the ODDS label.  I love it--
it's a great drawing!  Did they pay the artist? <g>

>As for the NEW Odds & Sods, I just picked up a
copy, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.  Been too busy ogling my
brand-new 3-day old son.<

Congratulations, Dad!!  If he's your first, remember--
they DO sleep thru the night eventually!

Emmee:
Love your fishes!!

Rich:
>[re "Hiding Out"]
>What you might have heard is the rare instrumental version of this track
>(which I haven't listened to in quite awhile, so I'm not sure if it fits
>your description.  I'll have to dig it out of my collection...).
>
>This instrumental was on a 12" German single, ATCO 258 679-0, and has an
>"extended" version of the LP song on the A-side with the instrumental plus
>"Crashing By Design" on the B-side.  (On a related note, a Spanish 45 has
>remixed version of the LP track as the A-side.)
>
>But in EITHER case (Muzak or Pete's own instrumental), you're entirely
>correct that it's very suprising that you heard this!<

Wow, thanks for the info!  I need to figure out which insurance company
I was holding for!  They may have a real Who fan there!

Brian Cady:
Thanks for your corrections to the liner notes.
I appreciate this kind of thing.  Those who don't can just
skip ahead in the newsletter.  But historical accuracy
is important to me, and *ought* to be to the record
execs, but obviously isn't....

Vigilante:
>[re the Apocalypse] with the millenium closing
in and everything, wouldn't all you christians think it's a good time for
it??<

Not to get into a big discussion, but remember what
Jesus said somewhere in the Gospels:  "Of that day
and hour _no one_ knows...but the Father only."
(emphasis mine)
***************************
Thanks to whoever informed me that John & Keith
sing lead on "We Close Tonight"...that was driving
me nuts.  I knew it wasn't Roger or Pete. <g>

And finally, re ODDS in general:  It's a great record.
Lots of wonderful stuff there.  I just wish that MCA,
Trinifold or whoever had spent a tiny bit more time
getting the liner notes right.

Oh, yeah--does the remix of "Music Must Change"
with the "new" guitar solo bug anyone else out there
as much as it does ME?!

--Carolyn
"Too much of everything"