Re: Guitar Poll again

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Paul Swindale wrote:

> I just got through reading a load old digests from February time, and I noticed a question from N S Boyer <N.S.Boyer@m.cc.utah.edu>
>  which read:
>
> "This is a new poll for all those Guitarists that enjoy playing Pete's
> work.   I was curious to know what you think is his most impressive piece,
> harmonically, or technically, or whatever"
>
> Why guitarists?

Because I think it is relavent seeing as guitar is probably the most
common instrument.  And also because I play quite a bit and was interested
in other's opinions

 >I am a student studying music, and am not a guitarist, and I
 would argue that I am in a position to assess the harmonic merits of any who
 song as well as the next man, granted not his technique.

No doubt you are in the position to dicuss the harmonic elements.
 I don't recall implying that only guitarists could.

>Not being rude or
 anything, but just playing Pete's instrument doesn't give you the ability to
 analyse his music better than others.

I don't believe I have the ability to analyze his MUSIC better, but I
think guitarists can analyze his GUITAR PLAYING a little better than a
Drummer could, and of course drummers are going to be more proficient in
recognizing virtuousity (thats probably spelled wrong) in drumming better
than a guitarist would, etc.

>In my opinion, Pete's music gets so
 harmonically advanced, it's almost unfair to compare it to anything else of
 today (like shit like Oasis - I hate them).

I agree completely.  It bothers me that people call them "The Beatles of
the 90's"

> "I also was curious to see how you compare Pete's playing to other
> guitarists such as Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Clapton, or other guitarists from
> the who's time"
>
> I was talking to a friend of mine who is a huge Clapton fan, and he reckons
 that Pete wouldn't stand a chance - I disagree strongly!

I agree with you.  Clapton isn't at all a bad lead player, but his rhythm
playing is really weak, whereas that area is Pete's strongest and the
reason I admire his playing so much.

> Please don't abuse me, it's just my opinion, thanks.
>

> Paul
> paul-swindale@usa.net
> ICQ: #4754694

Hope I wasn't too abusive.