Don't Drop Out!

> Forgive my ignorance...I am certainly a soundfreak, but what does
> everyone mean by the word "dropout?"

Rick:

It's a `60s thing...you know: "Tune in, turn on, drop out..." (Timothy
Leary).
Seriously, if you listen to the original O&S CD version of P&E, also
found on the boxed set for no good reason, you will hear the sound fade
briefly for a second in the (I think) right channel just after Rog sings
"A child flew past me riding on a star..." the second (or third) time.
This is a dropout. Try headphones and you will definitely hear it.
It's a common problem for tapes, usually due to some sort of encounter
with a magnetic source. Which says a lot about how the Who Archives are
being handled...
The LP version of P&E never had the dropout, and while I know MCA was
slack enough to leave it in the first issue of O&S, I couldn't (and
still can't) see a reason why it wasn't repaired for the boxed set.
Thankfully, at long last, it's been done...but I wouldn't have been
surprised if they hadn't.

--

            Cheers                ML

                                   Meher Baba