Re: Beatles, Substitute lyrics, and Bootlegs in general

> Damn straight, *I* did!  And again, there were lots of songs (the "Bad To
> Me" demo and Paul's demo of "Goodbye" are the first that spring
> to mind)

Carolyn:

The good news for you is that McCartney has said the vaults are closed
"for now." So you'll probably see more of this stuff. I heard rumours of
a SGT. PEPPERS boxed set to have been released last October (obviously
it wasn't). A SMILE boxed set, too.

> think EMI is planning an "acoustic White Album" release of the
> Esher demos.

I'm pleased to hear about this.

> Heard of it but never heard it.  I have heard the "clean"
> version of "Who Are You". <g>

On IOW Daltrey does the lyric change...put in the US version for fear of
racism charges...he says: "I try to go forward but my feet walk back"
instead of "I look all white but my Dad was black." The entire vocal
track is different, I believe, but that's the only lyric change.

> I'm still waiting for a recordable CD that you can re-record.

There is such an animal. At least for the computer burners. Just make
sure you get a "Rewritable" burner and then the discs, of course. They
cost between $20-22, as opposed to a "one time" disc which is about
$1.70 per (at least here). The same price I've been paying for good
cassettes.

> Far as bootlegging
> goes, I used to buy 'em but decided they were immoral and a rip-off.

I don't feel that way, but know many who do. For me and everyone I know
who gets them, they tend to raise our excitement level for the band,
which leads to more purchases of the legitimate releases. IMHO, the
labels are being counterproductive when trying to stop them.

> think EMI could've boiled down the best of those tracks into 3 CD's
> rather than six.  There was a *lot* of padding.

I agree.

> Oh, and has anyone else heard "Zoot Suit Riot" by the
> Cherry Popping Daddies?

Carolyn, sometimes you scare me. Our opinions and experiences coincide
often.
My partner is a big Jazz fan, and that one came into my store just
before his Birthday. So I gave it to him, and despite the two expensive
bootleg CDs of his favorite bands I also gave him, the CPD remains his
favorite. It's a great album.

> Reminds me of the High Numbers, not in sound but in subject.

In sound it reminds me of The Stray Cats, although it's Jazz not
Rockabilly.

> Finally - to forestall a bootlegging discussion, I've been bootlegged (about 5
> or 6 that I know of) I see no royalties whatever -  and I thoroughly approve
> of the Practise.

John:

I hope that's because you feel that you personally haven't lost anything
from it and perhaps even gained. And the labels, if they feel so put
upon, could always release it themselves and these releases would
certainly outsell the boots. As well as hopefully sounding better. As a
budget line, if they're concerned and with a quality disclaimer...maybe
mail order only or via the Internet.
I wasn't aware the Dylan Manchester show was actually stolen...it's
pretty clear from the boot it had been prepared for release. CBS could
do what MCA did in regard to The Who's NYC WN sessions with Leslie West;
offer to buy them back and not prosecute the thief.
Anyone interested in this subject should read the excellent book
Bootleg; sorry I don't recall the author but it is easily found.

--

            Cheers                ML

                                   Meher Baba