All kinds of things....

The Who will be better served by caring bootleggers than by the divided House
of Trinifold.

>  VOL. 4 was to include Dylan & The Hawks legendary show from Manchester
>  but some enterprising soul went and stole the master tape from Sony,
>  supposedly.  This has since turned up on a superb 2cd bootleg entitled
>  "Guitars Kissing and the Contemporary Fix".  Let's hope the bootleggers
>  come through in a similiar fashion with further high quality live Who
releases

Let us not forget that CBS/Columbia/Sony sat on the tape of Manchester '66 for
30 years without doing One Damn Thing with it - before the "bootleggers" did
the
superb "Guitars Kissing and the Contemporary Fix".

I also seriously doubt (having personal exp. of the fools) that CBS woulda had
the gumption to use the original 3 track master reel for the electric side,
but then discard it for the ACOUSTIC side and use instead the reference tape
off the Pennebaker film crew Nagra (which in a straight A/B, sounded better).

That sort of attention to detail only comes from Maniacs ;  record companies,
by & large, are not populated by people who care that much.

Columbia would've used the wrong mixes, mislabelled the CD tracklisting and
faded in the wrong places. You know it's true....

Compare Columbia "Basement Tapes" with the 5 CD bootleg Basements Complete.

Compare :

* Sound Quality,

* Song Selection,

* Presentation & Packaging,

* Cover Art & extensive prev. unpublished pictures,

* Liner Notes,

* 100 songs as opposed to about 12,

* PROPER, original versions (instead of mixes with overdubs added 7 years
after the fact & songs that were never IN the basement).

In every way the Boot looks like the work of Professionals & the Official
release like 3rd rate Tat.

Finally - to forestall a bootlegging discussion, I've been bootlegged (about 5
or 6 that I know of) I see no royalties whatever -  and I thoroughly approve
of the Practise.

jp