Re: Get Out and Stay Out, Affirmation

My close friend and near neighbor Rich Bogovich wrote:

>1.  What is the psychological explanation for why Pete sometimes
chooses
>titles that aren't included verbatim in the lyrics?  Another example
is
>"WON'T Get Fooled Again".  Not to mention the extreme example of
"Baba O'Riley"!

This is evidence of Pete's deep rooted insecurity.  He wrote a song
in which the phrase "Get out and don't come back no more" is repeated
several times, but then he thought, "No, maybe it should be, 'Get out
and stay out!'  Or maybe not.  Which is better?  I don't know!  I'm
worthless scum!  I hate myself!"  As soon as he stopped crying, he
decided to use one phrase in the song and the other in the title.
This way he not only avoided making a decision between the two, but
also gained the much-needed acceptance of both the "Get out and stay
out" and the "Get out and don't come back no more" camps.

>2.  Is "Get Out..." a demand that closeted individuals be open about
their
>sexual preference?

I think it's even more profound than that.  Pete is encouraging us
all to "get out" of ourselves, to open up and share our feelings with
others.  It is also indicative of his famous problems with substance
abuse, as "get out" is a short form of "getting out of your head".
Pete clearly associated being social with being under the influence
of drugs or alcohol, and doubted his ability to have a good time
while sober.

>3.  The phrase "...and don't come back" conjures up images of a
boomerang,
>which is SUPPOSED to come back.  Is the song about Pete's ties to
Australia?

It also conjures up images of Xena's chakram, which always comes back.
  But wait, there's more!  "Xena: Warrior Princess" is filmed in New
Zealand, and series star Lucy Lawless is a native New Zealander.
Australia and New Zealand are often associated, although they are not
really that close to each other.  More importantly, Lucy Lawless once
worked as a gold miner in Australia.  This is unusual work for a
woman, and it may be imagined that she caused quite a sensation among
the male miners.  Pete wrote "She's a Sensation" about a woman he met
in Australia.  Coincidence?  I think not!

Special note to everyone who has been taking this analysis of "Get
Out and Stay Out" seriously: IT'S A JOKE!  A JOKE, I TELL YOU!

Oh yeah, and Frank was only kidding with his sig about Pete being gay.
  We all know that Pete is not gay, in fact he gets quite depressed
at times.  He is, however, gray.

Now for the easy question...

Dag,

>Can anyone tell me with whom Pete Townshend recorded Affirmation
(1972)?

"Affirmation" was written and sung by poet Mike DeCosta.

-Yellow "We now return you to your regularly scheduled Digest"
Ledbetter