The Who in literature

I found this little Who mention in A.S. Byatt's novel, "Babel Tower".
 The book is set in England in the year 1964, and this passage is
from a letter written to the heroine by an old friend from
Cambridge:

"I gather you are in need of amusement.  There is plenty here, what
with the Election hotting up, and lots of dancing - twist, shout,
shake, everyone's got dislocated spines or ankles, it's an epidemic.
I wrote a piece on the Mod Clubs for the 'Statesman' - you wd.
appreciate my Leavisite analysis of the Lyrics of the Who - as you
would appreciate my Italian trousers..."

I haven't finished the book yet, but I think that's probably the only
mention of our lads.  There are a few passages set in an art college
not unlike the one Pete attended, which the Who fan segment of my
brain ("the Who lobe") found rather interesting as well.

-Yellow "A bookish sort" Ledbetter